Colorado Temperatures at 11-12k feet in Mid September

Hello-

I have an above timberline rifle muley hunt planned in central Colorado for September (8th through 16th). I plan on backpacking in and camping between 11 and 12,000 feet. What kind of temps and weather should I plan for?

Thanks...

Yukondog

WKR
Sunny, rain, snow, below freezing up to 75°. You could see everything all in one week. I take as little as I can regarding clothes but plan for freezing rain and snow. That way I'm prepared to hunt. One thing for sure you can't plan on it being 55° all week and get away with planning for that scenario. You will not be comforrable at all. Sorry for the wide open response.

OP
Josey Wales
clarification

Thanks for the response...I guess I should be more detailed.

How cold should I plan on it getting? I can always deal with warmer by taking off some layers.

If I bring enough clothing and a warm enough bag to stay safe if a storm blows through and it drops into the 20's, is that good enough?

Curtis C

WKR
It always a good idea to try your sleeping in cold temps to learn where it starts getting near its limit. Since its July thats not going to be an option. I am in similar spot being that I will be taking a sleeping bag that I have not tried in Sept weather. I will carry an extra layer this year just in case the temps drop below average for a night or 2.

I think if you prepare like you mentioned for some 20° nights you should be fine. A few big chemical warmers could be a good idea also.

C

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen it get colder than 20 degees here in the mtns. that time of year, but not by a lot.

BuckSnort

WKR
The last High country hunt I did in CO it snowed about 6" at close to 11,000' ..This was the Muzz season and in N. Central CO... I think you will be fine planning for 20 deg lows... That works for me and I seem to still pack too much clothing...

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
A couple years ago we were in Co. and camped at 10500 ft and it was in the mid 20s at night and a couple days it hit 80 at mid day. That was the 1st week of Sept.

bobhunts

WKR
Plan for the worst and you will never use it. I scouted unit 76 on 4th of July weekend six years ago and diet cokes froze inside the cooler. Never seen that since. But if you have the gear and don't use it things are fine... if you don't plan for all weather you will be the one talking about it! All of the advice above is sensible and take the advice and you will not have to worry.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
How do you all know what the temperature is when you're in the backcountry? I've often thought it would be nice to know the temp when I'm leaving in the morning, but I don't carry any kind of thermometer.