Colorado unit 11+

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Drew unit 11 which includes 23, 131, 33, 13, 25, 34, 26, 24, 12, 211, and 231. Not asking for secret spots, just maybe some advice from guys that have spent time in those units!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted that tag last year for first rifle. Lots of people but most left by Monday. Saw elk 3/5 days hunting. Lots of timber in the area we were at.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Wear all of the orange you can so you don’t get shot at. And don’t wear any colors that resemble elk or deer

gwtravis

Lil-Rokslider
An orange square dance menagerie. Be prepared to dos-a-dos often and with gusto. Do not promenade that’s frowned upon.

BPRW.gif

This is proper technique!

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Hunt the nastiest 40 acres that touch a main road that you can find.

Don't shoot a moose.

Park 1/2 mile from where you are walking off the road.

Put your carcass tag on the evidence of sex quarter, not the antlers.

Don't shoot a moose.

Nobody wants a hunt report afterwards.

Spend a lot of money here.

It’s a big area. Do some research on the roads. Keep an eye on the fire reports as it will close sections. I don’t hunt the area but it looks promising. Ive spent a bunch of time camping out there during the late summer and have not even searched the surface on the area. I’ve always ran into hunters here and there scouting. The mosquitoes back in the bowls/high meadows are impressive, so be prepared for that. Id recommend some map work, and some boots in the ground. There are outfitters all over so I’d do some research on them. In addition give the area wildlife officer/wardens a call, better sooner than later. There are a lot of elk in that general area but also lots of hunters, so understand escape routes/sheltered areas.

I’m assuming you drew the first rifle tag? If so you, me, and roughly 7000 of our closest buddies will be out there for that season. There will be a lot of people everywhere, very hard to get away. I’d recommend shooting the first legal animal you see. The pressure usually dies down some after the weekend. The restaurants in meeker have some pretty good food and the people are friendly.

OP
Bojangles21

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
I’m assuming you drew the first rifle tag? If so you, me, and roughly 7000 of our closest buddies will be out there for that season. There will be a lot of people everywhere, very hard to get away. I’d recommend shooting the first legal animal you see. The pressure usually dies down some after the weekend. The restaurants in meeker have some pretty good food and the people are friendly.

Yessir first rifle. Never hunted colorado before so should be interesting. I travel for work and will be here during season so I figured why not get a tag and try it out.

Yessir first rifle. Never hunted colorado before so should be interesting. I travel for work and will be here during season so I figured why not get a tag and try it out.

It can be a fun hunt just don’t get discouraged by seeing people. We’ve been going the last couple years and always have a good time.

CJohnson

WKR
Wear lots of orange and a ballistic vest for good measure. Lots of old guys at the trailheads listening for various radio traffic. I’d never seen that before.

What amazed me about that area was peoples willingness to take huge 5th wheels down some sketchy roads. I drove down a rutted out FS road for 4 miles, took me almost an hour to get that far. When I got to the end there were 14 5th wheels parked!! It must have taken them all day to drag one of those things back there!! Every trail head, every road, every flat spot had a camper, horse trailer, toy hauler or massive army tent on it.

The flat tops is a beautiful area, but I will never go back during rifle season.

Pippitt11

FNG
Hunted 11/211 for 7 years now...last year 3rd season was the most crowded I have ever seen it. Im assuming everyone had same idea that could be decent as late in the year as it was. Hope for weather to move new animals down and into the unit.

Slugz

WKR
Yeah you cant go in there 1/2/3 rifle season at all. You will make your self crazy.
I'm up there every Sept for the entire month and its plain awesome.
4th can be great also but only on years with a lot of snow, and I mean a lot.

I have the same experience also on the Grand Mesa but only 4th is nice and peacefull.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
i recommend you try leasing some private land to make it worth while - going to be pretty tough if trying to get lucky on public..