Colorado Unit 12, 24 Bear Tag

Titan_Bow

WKR
Hey Guys,
My son and I have the 12, 24 Sept. riflle tag, actually it covers 12, 13, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33, 131, 231 . I'm going to be elk hunting this year down in 24 1st rifle. I've seen a few bear tracks in 24 where I elk hunt, but really want to put my boy on his first bear. Without giving specifics, what are some general areas or tactics to focus on? We had a bear tag down in the sangre de cristos last year, but with his school commitments, only had one weekend to dedicate to it. Down there, we hiked up to a glassing knob and just sat there all day glassing some oak flats. Saw a ton of deer, but never saw a bear. Again this year, time is going to be somewhat limited. We'll primarily be doing weekend hunts. I've only ever hunted them in the spring, and I'd always been by myself or on hunts where I had a week or so straight. If you were limited to weekend hunts, would that change your strategy at all? Do you cover much ground, or dedicate yourself to a good glassing spot, and just wait it out, in anticipation of spotting one?
Also in this large area, are there units to be concentrating on? 24 is the one I know, but I am definitely not tied to it. What elevations should we be focusing on for sept. bear ?

Any generic feedback or tips would be appreciated!

fishslap

WKR
Find a good currant patch and be there just before dark. You’ll know it’s a good patch if there’s fresh seed laden crap nearby.

Hey Titan_bow, I drew that same tag this year. How did it work out for you? This will be my first bear hunt and first solo hunt so any tips would be appreciated. Current plan is to find really green areas on google earth, hike in look for fresh sign and then find a good glassing point. I guess I'm wondering what areas would be wise to avoid. Thanks for anything you can give.