Colorado unit 12

Betta1208

So I drew a unit 12 archery tag. Planning on the first week and a half maybe 2 weeks. Going with my buddy and uncle who got into some elk couple years ago. But nothing great. Gonna have a spike camp but have the option of a camp on my back if need to. I understand hunt high, look for water and wallows, north slopes and timber. How's the weather been in that area? Wet, dry? If anyone knows the area that would PM me. Not wanting honey holes just a yay or nay on the area we are starting at. This is only an every 2 or 3 year hunt if we have any luck with drawing in. Thanks in advance. Joe from Pennsylvania

Bob92057

Have you checked the Col DOW hunt planner for your gmu? Good info there.

NLHoks

@Betta1208 how did your hunt go? Get into any bulls? My dad and brother drew the same tag this year. We're planning on seeing up a spike camp in the SE area maybe near lost lake. Did you see a lot of other hunters?

OP
B

Betta1208

@Betta1208 how did your hunt go? Get into any bulls? My dad and brother drew the same tag this year. We're planning on seeing up a spike camp in the SE area maybe near lost lake. Did you see a lot of other hunters?
It would have been a lot better if it wasn't in the 90s almost everyday that week. Wish I was there the second week. Anyway it was still a good week. Bulls started to bugle towards the end of the week and did get into elk most days. PM me and I can give you a little more info on where to go and what I learned from some locals.

Elk101

It would have been a lot better if it wasn't in the 90s almost everyday that week. Wish I was there the second week. Anyway it was still a good week. Bulls started to bugle towards the end of the week and did get into elk most days. PM me and I can give you a little more info on where to go and what I learned from some locals.
Hi Betta, I'm heading to Unit 12 for archery on Sept 11. Backpacking in and plan to put camp on the back each morning. Would love to hear about your hunt and any tips you have would be greatly appreciated. - Ken

AGPank

I think Unit 12 is slowly improving on quality of bulls with the draw for public hunts. I hunt a small patch of private our family shares. The numbers of elk, in my opinion, has declined the last 10 years or so. I used to see herds as large as 40, now 6-8 is more typical. Bulls used to be small 4-5 points. I’m seeing better quality 5 and some 6 points (again I haven’t seen anything close to 300”).

I went early last year and had many great encounters following a lot of advice from Elknut and his app. I had a lot of quiet bulls come in to an advertising or slow play sequence. A few mistakes with wrong setups, missed yardage, and Ended up shooting a cow off a creative cow calling sequence.

I understand it’s been a drier year than normal but Monday the heat broke a little. Usually a weather app can use Meeker and get a close read on the forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Betta1208

Hi Betta, I'm heading to Unit 12 for archery on Sept 11. Backpacking in and plan to put camp on the back each morning. Would love to hear about your hunt and any tips you have would be greatly appreciated. - Ken