Colorado Unit 14 going Archery Limited Draw

cnelk

WKR
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials in Steamboat Springs are proposing changes to archery hunting in a portion of the Routt National Forest. A virtual public meeting is planned for Wednesday, June 24 at 6 p.m. to share the proposed regulatory changes and gather public input.
The proposed change would apply to Game Management Unit (GMU) 14, which stretches from Steamboat Springs east to the Continental Divide and north to the Little Snake River divide. Currently, archery elk hunters in GMU 14 can purchase over-the-counter, either sex licenses in the unit, meaning there are an unlimited number of archery licenses for bulls and cows in the unit. In recent years, increases in the number of archery hunters and the amount of non-hunting outdoor recreation have negatively impacted hunter experience, hunter success, and herd quality. In response, managers are proposing making GMU 14 a limited draw-only unit, which would require archery hunters to apply for a set number of hunting licenses each year.

In 1990, 307 archery elk hunters hunted GMU 14. By 2019 that number had risen to 1,582 archery elk hunters. Over the same time, rifle hunting has declined in the unit, from 2,911 in 1990 to 1,302 last year. The September archery season in GMU 14 is also impacted by more than 500 participants in the 36-hour, Run Rabbit Run ultramarathon.

Over time, CPW staff has noticed a decrease in the number of calves per cow from 0.52 in 2006 to 0.37 in 2019. The calf to cow decline indicates decreasing productivity within the local herd. Winter classification flights have confirmed declining numbers of elk over the same time frame from 639 elk in 2006 down to 393 in 2019. Classification flights do not seek to count every animal on the landscape, rather they provide a key input to computer models that, together with other inputs such as hunter harvest, give a more accurate picture of the overall herd.

Anyone interested in hearing more about the proposed change can participate in a Zoom webinar on Wednesday, June 24 at 6 p.m. The webinar will begin with a presentation from local wildlife managers and biologists. Participants will then have the opportunity to ask questions. To register for the webinar, go to

Hmmm.

Keep limiting units and OTC really will get crazy, even most of the new limited units didn't draw out. But lots of people don't understand how it works and they just plan to hunt OTC units.

Might as well go limited across the whole state. Still should be easy to get a tag if this year is an example.

I agree with Billy Goat, it is past due to eliminate OTC in Colorado. They keep reducing the number of OTC archery units which is going to make the unit I hunt even more crowded (since it is still OTC). And it is already WAY too crowded.

stonewall

WKR
Those numbers blow my mind. I always kinda wondered what that looked like. I was just a little kid in 1990, but I have assumed the 80s and 90s were the "good ole days" of elk hunting. perhaps that is so. some of my favorite elk hunting videos are from that period

I'd like to see OTC with caps, but would also be okay with all draw. having the otc as a fallback is nice, but if draw improves the experience, I'm good with it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Those numbers blow my mind. I always kinda wondered what that looked like. I was just a little kid in 1990, but I have assumed the 80s and 90s were the "good ole days" of elk hunting. perhaps that is so. some of my favorite elk hunting videos are from that period

I started hunting a new OTC area in 2007 and that year I didn't see another hunter the entire 12 days I was in there. In 2008 I saw probably 1/2 dozen hunters. In 2009 I didn't see anybody. In 2010 I hunted a draw unit. In 2011 it was like someone was busing hunters in. It was so ridiculous that I left 2 days after I got there. In 2012 it was still too crowded but managed to shoot a 300+ bull. I haven't been back since. It was a really great area though until 2011, so there were still some "good ole days" areas more recently.

stonewall

WKR
I started hunting a new OTC area in 2007 and that year I didn't see another hunter the entire 12 days I was in there. In 2008 I saw probably 1/2 dozen hunters. In 2009 I didn't see anybody. In 2010 I hunted a draw unit. In 2011 it was like someone was busing hunters in. It was so ridiculous that I left 2 days after I got there. In 2012 it was still too crowded but managed to shoot a 300+ bull. I haven't been back since. It was a really great area though until 2011, so there were still some "good ole days" areas more recently.
I'm part of the problem, tbh. my first elk hunt was 2011 - when my age and a little income finally made it possible

Guys need to learn to get their horns out after dark and stop telling people what and where they are killing things.....I hide horns and meat at camp and I keep my conversations to a minimum.

For instance I know a guy who proudly marched his horns every year right past a bunch of guys from PA and Illinois and New York. Telling them all the story because he loved to boast....

Now there is 6X the hunting pressure in that area from people from those very states. If he had been more discreet the area wouldn't have been ruined.

Word travels fast.

On another note: If the entire state went to LE archery tags, even if the units had a large amount of LE tags to give out, it would force people to burn their points....which in my mind is a good thing. The days of banking points while hunting OTC units is soon coming to an end. Or so I hope.

Personally, I am ok with only hunting Colorado as a non-resident every 2-3 years or so as long as the quality of the hunt goes up. I dont rely on that OTC yearly anyhow like some do.

LostArra

WKR
Right there is the problem........statewide. Add in all the non-hunting recreationalists that have grown exponentially, and you have very crowded public lands.
There were 2 million less people living in Colorado in 1990. Thats a lot of subdivisions and recreational hikers

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AG8

Lil-Rokslider
I have mixed feelings here. I hunt 14 every year, and have since 2006 when I moved to Colorado for college. CPW helped to create the crowding there in the first place, as at that time they were advertising it along with a few other units as “recommended” due to tag availability and ease of public access. As a newly arrived college student with no idea where to start in a new state, that’s how I ended up there, and Im sure hundreds of others as well. A nice and helpful gesture on the surface, but of course really rooted in an advertising move to drive up license sales and revenue. Not saying it would not have become more popular over the years anyway, but the CPW itself is a real part of that equation. And for what it’s worth, as far as other recreationalists, as the article mentions the overnight Run Rabbit Run race, if they want to make a change there that will have real impact, they need to limit or regulate in some way the amount of midnight activity on the mountain. One overnight race during the summer is not such a crisis, but now you have hundreds of people out there training at all hours preparing for an overnight race. That’s human activity on trails all over the area all night all summer where the elk would have traditionally had more time to themselves to feed, rest, etc. as average outdoor recreation is not otherwise happening at 1 am every day. Don’t get me wrong I am a part of the trail running community and I support the races and their participants, but we also need to recognize the impact that the 24 hour a day training cycle leading up to the races is having on wildlife of all species there and in the areas around other races. My 2 cents.

I hunted elk for the first time last September in unit 14 as well as another OTC and skipped from one to the other several times. We got into elk in both units but the wind did us in.

My question is if I put in for the unit 14 draw does that eliminate me from hunting an OTC unit?

Thanks in advance for a newbie to drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gapmaster

WKR
Why not just cap the OTC units? Look at the Southwest units...went to LE and have a ton of left over tags. I’m a NonRes myself and enjoy the opportunities that OTC provide when I don’t draw, but something needs to be done. 20 years ago you could hunt some areas and never see a person. I blame social media for a lot of it.

Rob5589

WKR
Seems easier to just cap it than to go to a draw. 1582 hunters for approx 393 elk sounds like bad game management.