Colorado unit 18

Posting on a forum that an area is burnt to a crisp and not huntable could be a a tactic to keep others out….

Ya just never know. :)
I hope the opposite is true. Guys head there in flocks, because "Burns are great, Elk magnets". The picture above was one of my elk funnels, a bunch of elk died right there. That place is written off. No cover to hold elk you drove right by it.

Jbehredt

WKR
Posting on a forum that an area is burnt to a crisp and not huntable could be a a tactic to keep others out….

Ya just never know. :)

Or maybe I’m posting optimistic statements about it greening up to keep guys from jumping to neighboring units…

Fires burn different within the fire. Keep that in mind. It's hotter on some hills then others. I watched that fire go...fastest fire I've ever seen. Flipping hot. But I'm sure if you locate areas it jumped you'll find something. Might not be elk. But I'm sure there are green spots and moon spots. But that fire ran 100k acres in a day... craziest thing I've ever seen.

Hunterbug

FNG
It needed to be cleaned up one way or another. It would be even better if the big trees could be cleaned out. I hunted grouse up there in September and I knew that it was going to burn. There was tons of fuel everywhere. I think it'll come back better but it might take a year or two. But they also give out a lot of tags for that area and it's OTC for bulls so there will be a lot of people up there.

nrhardin

FNG
it was definitely a tinderbox. Was up there for first rifle in 2017 and had a front come through. 40 mph wind gusts and trees were just falling randomly all over the place. Pretty freaky. Sat a lot of parks that day!

Ucsdryder

WKR
I love these threads. Who’s telling the truth and who’s trying to keep the forum scouters out of their area?! That’s the question!

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Is the Black Mountain fire in 18 or 181? News says its moving south and east

kcm2

WKR
The most important public land elk question is where do they go when they are hunted?

find an escape route or a sanctuary and wait.