Colorado Unit 2 Walker Ranch

FMS

FNG
Considering hunting Colorado unit 2 early rifle elk this fall. Does anyone out there have experience in that unit? Especially interested in talking to anyone who has hunted the Walker Ranch.

Thanks

Jaquomo

WKR
How many points do you have? I bowhunted all around it and also on some of the "Walker ranch" that Jimmy Horton illegally posted, which was actually BLM. Lots of good bulls, depending upon what your standards are. Hunting the ranch gives some access to difficult places for the general public to reach, and you will have less competition. Might be worth the price if your situation warrants it. We killed our 350+ archery bulls on the BLM a few miles from Walker property.

OP
F

FMS

FNG
How many points do you have? I bowhunted all around it and also on some of the "Walker ranch" that Jimmy Horton illegally posted, which was actually BLM. Lots of good bulls, depending upon what your standards are. Hunting the ranch gives some access to difficult places for the general public to reach, and you will have less competition. Might be worth the price if your situation warrants it. We killed our 350+ archery bulls on the BLM a few miles from Walker property.
I have 29 points and my son 26. We are both residents. I know I can draw any of the hunts. My son should but might not if a few hunters ahead of him or in his point group apply and draw. Considering my hunting this year to get a better handle on the area and have him hunt next year.

I have reached the point in life where the quality of the hunt is worth more to me than the size of the rack. This year I took a friend black powder hunting in unit 8, a heavily hunted very accessible unit. It was one of the best hunts I have had in years. We worked bulls 6 out of the 9 days. Called a 300 class bull into bow range as well as a smaller bull into BP range and I filled my cow tag. If my son and I work bulls together in Unit 2 the hunt will be a success.

Are you willing to provide some insights into hunting the unit. I am starting to develop my pre hunt scouting maps now and would appreciate any available intel.