Colorado Unit 36 High Country Buck Hunt

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
I never post hunt reports, so I figured I would try to actually contribute to the site today ... rather than just extract great information from you all.

Short story: No Deer. Too hot. And you CO guys know about the state issuing way too many tags in the unit in previous seasons. I, somehow, did not. Too busy these days to plan like I used to ... and too much fishing in the offseason/summer in my fleeting free time (so, no research). But, we saw several huge Bears (one which I about had an "incident" with in camp), the biggest Shiras Moose I have ever seen, and a few Bulls ... and the scenery and company was fantastic. So no regrets, at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1034-1.jpeg
    IMG_1034-1.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
I think a lot of guys go into Colo high country hunts with the thought of seeing lots of bucks. Unless they are super lucky that's not the case even in the best years. Bucks also tend to disappear once they shed their velvet which often is around when those seasons open. There is a lot of wilderness country without deer! Sounds like you had a great time.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted the other side of 36, coming from Radium for 4 years in a row- 10 years ago. Best buck I ever saw was a 3 1/2 yr old 4 x 4. They are there but far and few between. Lots of bears though…