Colorado Unit 36 or 82/86?

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I'm headed back to Colorado this September but we're going to try a different area. I've narrowed it down to one specific area of unit 36 (Eagles Nest Wilderness area) and another area in the norther portion of unit 82. I've spoken with the GW for the area in unit 82 and I'm still waiting to hear back from the GW for unit 36. If anyone is familiar with these areas I would love to compare notes. Thanks!

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I'd suggest posting all kinds of stuff about a unit here on Rokslide then going somewhere else... haha unfortunately you mention something here and you have a dozen new guys heading there this season.

I'd be happy to share with you my thoughts on units in Colorado as a PM but I haven't hunted the units you're talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I've hunted the EN and part of 82....both areas are about the same. We used to hunt the EN....back 9-11 miles [walking in with a couple mules/packsaddles] and it was just getting too crowded. Then one yr in one of the units you mentioned, my leg was in a cast, so I was hunting a spot not even 1/4 mile off a road and shot a 5 point bull....go figure.

I can tell you its about the same in all of those Co OTC units...you just have to cover ground and find areas where the elk are getting pushed into.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions Beendare. We had a similar experience last year as far as distance from the truck. We spent 3 days hunting 4-5 miles from the road with no luck. The last day we got into a small herd of elk only 0.5 mile from the road but there were several other people hunting those elk.

otcWill

FNG
I've been in both those areas. Between the two, I'd go with 82. Some tough country that most hunters won't go. Good luck!

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks otcWill! I'd like to thank everyone for the many messages I've received offering help/suggestions!

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
you won't be lonely in 36, even if you hunt alone. sadly that is becoming very common in many areas in CO with reasonable access.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Spent some time in 36 during archery season. PM me and I can give you a bit of info.