Colorado Unit 42 and fall hunting.

workethic

FNG
Anyone live in or frequent this area? I will be there hunting bear on Sept. 2nd (the odds are in my favor to draw). A buddy and I are headed there to specifically target bear. Pretty much everyone I have talked to has told me I should be carrying an elk tag or deer tag too, but I specifically want to target bear, something about them I love. I was just wondering if I would be able to connect with someone later this summer to see how the area has been as far as precipitation, wild fires and so on. I have the contact info for the fish and wild life in the area as well as a couple other government resources, but I am a junky for information and planning a hunt. If you have local knowledge of the area or have hunted there in the past I would be more than happy to hear what you have to say about bear in the area as well. This may be a first, but please DO NOT tell me where to go! I absolutely love the planning and scanning maps and creating a plan for accessing the area. I know its stupid to be this stubborn, but the reward of dropping that way point miles away and getting it right when the hunt finally happens is so rewarding. I use ONX, gohunt, colorado fws, blm info, usfws and research papers I have found for my area.

On a side note: If you have advice on hunting fall black bear in variable elevations I would love hear it. There is very little information out there on fall black bears, especially out west. I will be posting some information on a separate thread shortly about fall black bear and what to look for. Not that I am an expert, I just want the information I found to be out there in one spot.

Thank you all for the help!

Medic727

FNG
I live in Delta, on the south side of the Grand Mesa. Ive done a bit of bear hunting up there. Id be happy to chat

Jimss

WKR
You are likely limited to spot and stalk hunting bears in fall in Colo. That means getting up high and glassing large areas. Bears put the feed bags on trying to gain as much weight as possible prior to winter. If you are aware of what bears feed on in the area you'll be hunting that will likely tell you areas to concentrate on and eliminate a lot of country. There are likely acorns on scrub oak in Western Colo. Choke cherries and other berries may be additional sources of fall feed. They may or may not have a good crop depending upon the year you hunt. If you can find bear scat it will give you an idea of what they've been eating. I've heard sometimes bears cool off in small reservoirs, ponds, etc.....they may be worth checking out for sign andwatching from a distance. Obviously bears are attracted to deer and elk gut piles....but not sure if they are legal to sit at? Have fun and good luck!

OP
W

workethic

FNG
You are likely limited to spot and stalk hunting bears in fall in Colo. That means getting up high and glassing large areas. Bears put the feed bags on trying to gain as much weight as possible prior to winter. If you are aware of what bears feed on in the area you'll be hunting that will likely tell you areas to concentrate on and eliminate a lot of country. There are likely acorns on scrub oak in Western Colo. Choke cherries and other berries may be additional sources of fall feed. They may or may not have a good crop depending upon the year you hunt. If you can find bear scat it will give you an idea of what they've been eating. I've heard sometimes bears cool off in small reservoirs, ponds, etc.....they may be worth checking out for sign andwatching from a distance. Obviously bears are attracted to deer and elk gut piles....but not sure if they are legal to sit at? Have fun and good luck!
I appreciate the info! I’ll be sure to have a good time!