Colorado Unit 43... Lots of people...

Good Morning...

My son and I hunted Unit 43 last year during 2nd Rifle as a DIY and we seen lot of Elk along the road in on private, but I'm not a monk so that didn't help us much if you know what I mean.

This year my son is back in unit 43 and he has been there since Tuesday, and isn't having much luck. He keeps having people walk in on him. He is hunting above 10,000 ft. and about 3 miles from the trail. 5 to 6 from the trail head.

Any tips on where he might be able to get away from the mass of people? He actually had people walk through his campsite this morning several hours before sun up, going up the mountain.

Last year we started out in the Capitol Creek area, then went to Dinkle and then to the Huntsman Ridge area.

We did figure out that we need to get away from the "Scenic Areas" to get away from the hikers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

He did mention that the ponds on google earth, and Basemaps are dried up..

Last edited:

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Did your son end up having any luck? I’m hiking in on September 20. I here it’s been a dry year

brsnow

WKR
The elk tend to be where most people don’t want to go, distances don’t really matter.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately, its Colorado, so I'd recommend picking a different state. This year has been worst than last in my experience. I imagine unless CPW reduces opportunity, it'll only get worse. It also doesn't help that your mentioning the specific areas in your post. above.

For this year, I'd recommend looking for a different drainage w/ less elk and it'll ultimately have less ppl. Look to find a pocket where the elk like to be w/out other pressure. Another tactic would be to be patient and stay put in an elky area...let the pressure push elk to him, rather than chase the elk like everybody else.