Colorado unit 43?

Jordan guyer

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to do an archery hunt in unit 43. anyone have any info on this unit. How are the deer numbers? Is this unit typical high country habitat? It looks like i can draw without any points. I do have one point, is this unit worth one point?

bohntr

WKR
While there's not the numbers prior to the 07/08 winter, there's still some small pockets of mature bucks in the high-country in 43. It takes a lot of commitment (physically) to get to some of them, but the pay off could be huge if you're able to scout a bit before the hunt.

sfischer

FNG
X2 what bohntr said. Get in shape. Also I know everyone is about the high country don't overlook the lowland areas.

ColoradoV

WKR
I think that is a good unit with the potential as I know some guys who have pulled flat hogs out of 43 early. None of the central mtn units are like they were before the 07/08 winter and will not be for some time but out of all the 0 or 1 point units that a NR can get it is as good of choice as any.

IMO it is as good as any of the central mountain units and better than some. Unless you are looking to change into a unit in the sw mountains I would say you have made a good choice and should have a good hunt.

I've had the privilege to grow up in the unit and have been fortunate to harvest some very nice bucks out of it during the archery and muzzy seasons. The hay day has past. The unit was obviously publicized by certain individuals and the information became common knowledge in the likes of magazines like Eastman's MRS section... I still see a hand full of great bucks in it each year and consistently hunt it due to its what I've grown up hunting and it will always have a special place in my heart. It's certainly a unit that one does not show up to an expect to be an easy/successful hunt. It takes time to become proficient in the unit. Those whom put in the time in the summer months and are in great physical shape are the ones that are consistently successful. The Maroon bells and the Raggeds are no joke. They require a different approach to hunt them efficiently. The 20-30 bucks a day is long over. Anymore the deer are pocketed and it takes alot of leg work and doing your homework to locate them, but 180 plus inch bucks are still there for the taking....

Coloradoboy

Pueblo

FNG
I guess this thread has petered out but I'll give my 2 cents anyways. I hunted it just once, in 2012 for Archery. Did a lot of research...to point where there could have been nothing left on the internet to learn. I even figured out from some EBJ videos, maps and google earth the exact location that DL took 2 of his bucks. While tempting to go there, it was clear that those areas were getting hit very hard, so I looked for an area that seemed like good habitat but was not mentioned much if at all. I also looked for trails that didn't go to popular destinations and/or where a quick detour early in the hike might hits some untraveled basins.

I found what I was looking for and was rewarded with great hunting over some nice bucks in the 170-180 class. I didn't score, but should have. The biggest difference between this and the areas I had hunted in the past was the lack of thermals...the weather at that elevation just didn't allow it. Wind was always shifting and it either rained or threatened to rain every day. Never saw a hunter. I'd do this again.

Not saying its not a good unit I just would burn my point elsewhere and then come back

I would agree. However, if you dont plan on banking a point in the future and just want to hunt every year starting in 43 now and just going for that tag every year may not be a bad idea. Knowing a unit is a big part of tagging a deer.

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Great unit, great genetics and great potential... Just stay away from Fravert, Haisley, Frigidaire drainages as they get pounded during the opener and you should find what you want... The winter kill was bad everywhere but thereis good hunting there and most surrounding high country units if you look into several basins during pre season scouting -