Colorado Unit 43

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on how my Montana hunt goes, I’m going to try and loop down through Colorado around Sept. 20-28 for an archery hunt in unit 43. I usually hunt 54, but was unsuccessful in my draw this year. If there’s anyone on here who will be hunting 54 that has knowledge of 43 I’d be willing to do some horse trading with some information regarding the units through a personal message or over the phone. I’ve got locations of interest picked out throughout the unit from east to west and to the south. My concern is later in the season after muzzy season etc, the elk may be moving towards private land rather than being deeper in the wilderness areas that I plan to hunt due to pressure. I have a few questions about hunting pressure near Redstone vs a couple other areas I’ve identified as places I’d like to go. I’m also trying to figure out which leftover bear tag to apply for based on the area I’ll choose to hunt. Years ago when I hunted this unit the eastern half of the unit had more traffic and it seemed the bears frequented these trail systems more due to food/trash. I haven’t been there for some time since the canister rule was put in place. Depending on the depth of info available, I have a few locations from 54 saved on my onX Maps I’d be willing share where elk have been abundant the last couple of years, as well as an active wallow that’s produced two years in a row for me. I’d also like to give a shout out to a couple outfitters in the area that I’ve spoken with about packouts. Avalanche Outfitters and Snowmass Creek Outfitters were both very cordial, professional, and willing to accommodate me when I spoke with them. I’ve spoke with some outfitters who were less than thrilled to hear from someone hunting in areas they do business. Thanks for your time.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
43 gets really busy (just like many other CO units). I live across the valley from it. Elk can be anywhere that time of year. Big is right about the bear tag.

OP
Okie84

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Bear tag is the unit 43 tag, that will work for the Redstone side, if ur on the eastern side of capitol peak you’d need the other one which i think is 47. Willing to help more if needed.
Josh Wamboldt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, sir. Is the bear population as healthy on the 47 side as it in in 43? Im leaning towards 43 just to see some new country.

OP
Okie84

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
43 gets really busy (just like many other CO units). I live across the valley from it. Elk can be anywhere that time of year. Big is right about the bear tag.
Thanks for the reply

OP
Okie84

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
Do either of you know if Avalanche creek and Hell Roaring Creek are crossable by foot during late September?
I harvested 2 bears last year myself, have already seen 15 bears since June 1, get a bear tag regardless for the area. We’d really appreciate the help with the population and you will save a ton of elk calves for every bear

That’s insane. Hopefully I can get a refund on my 54 bear tag, so I can pick up a couple tags once the state takes it off my account. Do you know if Hell Roaring Creek and Avalanche Creek (from Gift creek area south) are usually crossable by foot during September?

Marble

WKR
Do either of you know if Avalanche creek and Hell Roaring Creek are crossable by foot during late September?

That’s insane. Hopefully I can get a refund on my 54 bear tag, so I can pick up a couple tags once the state takes it off my account. Do you know if Hell Roaring Creek and Avalanche Creek (from Gift creek area south) are usually crossable by foot during September?
All of the creeks there are crossable year round. Maybe not on the trail exactly, but somewhere there will be something.

I know the zone intimately. The elk will not leave wilderness until big big snow.

Hunted there for 20 years. Always find animals.

It is steep with no 4 wheeler access where I hunt so we use horses.

Last several years there has been an abundance of more hunters. Elk will be scattered from the valley to 12,000.

Best of luck!!

Marble

WKR
We see bears normally each year. But not a lot. Not enough for me to get a tag. I have left animals on the ground overnight, sometimes two nights and have never had a bear get into it.

OP
Okie84

Okie84

Lil-Rokslider
All of the creeks there are crossable year round. Maybe not on the trail exactly, but somewhere there will be something.

I know the zone intimately. The elk will not leave wilderness until big big snow.

Hunted there for 20 years. Always find animals.

It is steep with no 4 wheeler access where I hunt so we use horses.

Last several years there has been an abundance of more hunters. Elk will be scattered from the valley to 12,000.

Best of luck!!
That’s what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Basically you guys are saying this is good bear hunting unit? I’ll be out there this second rifle season, is this a good time to hunt bear? Any tips?

Wanna start saving the elk herds, start harvesting bears. They are killing the already lower calf crop, mixed with the lions, and soon to come wolves, better get a jump on it. Why do you think CPW upped bear tags and dropped the cost. If you’re not harvesting bears you can’t complain about herd numbers dropping.

I’ll be in 43 this year from sept 5-21. Good luck!

Harvest a bear ALL the locals will appreciate it, and just remember if you don’t line bear meat you can donate it!! With the new CPW regs Private land tags are unlimited get a buddy to buy that tag and you can donate 100% of the meat to them with an infilled tag, so no excuses that you don’t like bear meat cause it’s easy to get rid of it.

Dadnstuff

Lil-Rokslider
Harvest a bear ALL the locals will appreciate it, and just remember if you don’t line bear meat you can donate it!! With the new CPW regs Private land tags are unlimited get a buddy to buy that tag and you can donate 100% of the meat to them with an infilled tag, so no excuses that you don’t like bear meat cause it’s easy to get rid of it.

Shot you a PM regarding bear in that area.

Sorry to the OP for highjacking.

I harvested 2 bears last year myself, have already seen 15 bears since June 1, get a bear tag regardless for the area. We’d really appreciate the help with the population and you will save a ton of elk calves for every bear

Long shot here, I'm putting in for an early rifle buck deer tag in unit 43 ( have 4 points, I should draw). I was also going to buy a bear tag. I see they break the unit down into 2 sides 43 (western side) and 47 (eastern). Do you think 1 area is better than another? Thanks

Marble

WKR
Long shot here, I'm putting in for an early rifle buck deer tag in unit 43 ( have 4 points, I should draw). I was also going to buy a bear tag. I see they break the unit down into 2 sides 43 (western side) and 47 (eastern). Do you think 1 area is better than another? Thanks
Do your research before you go hit this unit for early Mule deer. It's legit steep, deep and dark country.

To get to wear the bucks are at that time of year in that unit you will need stock. There are very few spots that you can get to in a day, on foot, with a pack, that hold quality animals.

Everyone uses stock to get back there for a reason.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I would focus on deer and then decide on ur bear tag, as marble said where the deer are that time of year is tough to get to, most trailheads are around 7500’ most deer are 9,000 and above, least better quality deer I’d be pursuing. Past few years all the deer harvested on early rifle with us have been above 10,000. I wouldn’t say they were high quality either. Average deer and small ones will be lower but I’d guess if you’re gonna burn points you want something a little more quality.

Ur deer tag will be the maroon bells wilderness, there’s more wilderness on the east than the west, there’s bears all over.