Colorado Unit 43

Don’t forget you will need a bear proof container for food. I think it’s a pretty good fine if you don’t have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget you will need a bear proof container for food. I think it’s a pretty good fine if you don’t have one.

Ya, it is, hanging food in trees is no longer allowed, anytime food is out of your possession it needs to be in a bear proof container, this also includes sleeping. Even if you are in your “camp” but asleep food must be locked up. Even trash and freeze dried meals. There is a fine for food out, food not in bear proof container, trash out, etc. forest service and CPW can write tickets on this, on another flip side, if you are way off the trail, and don’t have a bear tag but one gets into your camp and you have to shoot it for self defense they can give you a ticket for unlawful take, baiting, and not having food in a bear proof container.

Do your research before you go hit this unit for early Mule deer. It's legit steep, deep and dark country.

To get to wear the bucks are at that time of year in that unit you will need stock. There are very few spots that you can get to in a day, on foot, with a pack, that hold quality animals.

Everyone uses stock to get back there for a reason.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I appreciate your information, thanks!

I would focus on deer and then decide on ur bear tag, as marble said where the deer are that time of year is tough to get to, most trailheads are around 7500’ most deer are 9,000 and above, least better quality deer I’d be pursuing. Past few years all the deer harvested on early rifle with us have been above 10,000. I wouldn’t say they were high quality either. Average deer and small ones will be lower but I’d guess if you’re gonna burn points you want something a little more quality.

Ur deer tag will be the maroon bells wilderness, there’s more wilderness on the east than the west, there’s bears all over.

Antler,
Thanks for the feedback. Deer is 100% my focus. I'm thinking Ill switch my bear tag to the east side (47). I guess it makes the most sense to pick the unit with the most wilderness area to work with. I live 1 hour west, I'm excited to spend the summer hiking the area!

Bear tag is the unit 43 tag, that will work for the Redstone side, if ur on the eastern side of capitol peak you’d need the other one which i think is 47. Willing to help more if needed.
Josh Wamboldt

Hey Josh, I’ve seen your recent post about bears in 43. I’m hoping to get a bear tag in the future for 43. I was wondering if you could provide me any tips for this hunt considering you seem knowledgeable and willing to give help on harvesting bears here. Thanks

I harvested 2 bears last year myself, have already seen 15 bears since June 1, get a bear tag regardless for the area. We’d really appreciate the help with the population and you will save a ton of elk calves for every bear

Any rough idea what kind of elevation I can expect to find bears at during September? I am sort of afraid the Eastern half ( unit 47) is a lot of wilderness area that starts at 8500 and goes up to 12,000. From what I have read the bears will be lower eating acorns. CPW game management plan also showed the fall concentration of bears lower. I hiked up east snowmass trail tonight and man was it nice though.

Marble

WKR
Any rough idea what kind of elevation I can expect to find bears at during September? I am sort of afraid the Eastern half ( unit 47) is a lot of wilderness area that starts at 8500 and goes up to 12,000. From what I have read the bears will be lower eating acorns. CPW game management plan also showed the fall concentration of bears lower. I hiked up east snowmass trail tonight and man was it nice though.
I've seen them through second season all the over 11,500 and down on the valley. Seen them in snow storms cruising and hot days too. They are nomadic and opportunistic.

If you are there to hunt hunt elk or deer just go about your business and you'll run into them.

I've seen them through second season all the over 11,500 and down on the valley. Seen them in snow storms cruising and hot days too. They are nomadic and opportunistic.

If you are there to hunt hunt elk or deer just go about your business and you'll run into them.

I appreciate the response. Only have a bear tag for September so bear is the focus.

wildcat33

WKR
Where can i find more info on when/where bear canisters are required? Ill be out there second rifle.

Marble

WKR
I appreciate the response. Only have a bear tag for September so bear is the focus.
Find a dead carcass and sit on it. If you run into some elk hunters, ask them and I'm sure they will tell you. I've had a few bear hunters sit on bulls ive killed.

Jumping in here. I may have a chance to hunt 2nd or 3rd rifle in 43. i buddy got access to 400 acres of private in the capital creek drainage north of maroon bells and east of snow mass. Looks like it backs up to the white river forrest. He is out there scouting now and sending pics of deer, bear and elk.

Marble

WKR
At upper elevation, say above 10k, there was nearly knee deep snow even on the sun exposed hillsides opting day. We had seen elk in there the evening beforei. The only deer I saw at that level of snow were 3 does and a buck moving across the hillsides to where they go down and out. I watched them go across the mountain for about a mile. I never saw any other deer in that range. We did see groups of sheep.

The elk moved a little lower than that to just above snow line moved their way up as snow got less deep.

We filled both our elk tags Tuesday. After I killed my bull the bigger bill stepped out and stood there for 20 minutes.. A 290ish 6x6. Which I should have know was near since I watched this herd the evening before.

We had one small bear make its way across on front of us. Even if I had a tag I don't know if I would have shot it. 150-200 pounds max. Only bear tracks I saw.

Lots of people...

How did you guys in 43 do this year on your deer and bear hunts?!
I didn’t end up drawing a deer tag( I had 1 less point than I thought). I did go after a bear, I did Gina bear but I wasn’t able to close the gap down to a comfortable shooting distance before he walk off into the timber.

The terrain is more challenging that everyone says. I live an hour west of aspen and I thought I knew the challenge of the terrain but I also under estimated it.

Congrats on the success!! and thanks for following up, I saw there was a good amount of snow early on in CO this year.

Good reports!!