Colorado Unit 43

Absolutely shocking number of hunters in that unit this year. All the units that have turned into draw units are pushing even more folks into 43. You cannot get back in far enough to not see a lot of folks. Like 18 in one drainage. Crazy. All the trailheads were completely parked up with trucks and trailers.
This x10. The hunting pressure is off the wall. The Insta-hunter crowd and a couple publications have blown this unit up and herd numbers are declining significantly for both deer and elk in these roaring fork units. If you're good with glass you can find game, but also its likely they'll be 3,500 vertical ft above you on slopes steep enough that you might not stop if you fall. Significant bear activity at night in this unit, the bear cannister requirement in the wilderness is there for a reason.

I live in unit 43 and agree with most of the above. Like others, I won't share specific info, but there is a ton of pressure from hunters, mountain bikers, hikers, runners and trail crews. Steep terrain (the side trails out of Avalanche Creek and most trailheads are elevators). A lot of Wilderness. Two of the best zones in the unit have turned into mountain bike trail systems and the ungulate populations have been influenced in both. It's been heavy enough traffic the last couple years, even in my obscure zones, that I've considered leaving my home unit to hunt OTC or limited elsewhese.

Marble

WKR
Don’t let them discourage you, lots of people from Utah get muzzleloader tags and do quite well here. They even make videos sometimes...
I hope I don't come across as discouraging. But I don't want someone to really not understand what the area is like. It is some of the most beautiful country I've ever seen in my life. I would like to live close enough to that area just to hike the mountains.

In the pictures posted above, it takes me around 6 hours to ride a horse there. To walk there...its an all day event.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Wgrobb

FNG
You guys are breaking my heart. I honestly thought if i hiked back in for a day i would be away from people. I don't mind hiking back in several miles to get away from ppl. Not getting an animal..........well that's hunting. Having to see other hunters every day 5 miles back in. I'm not into that.

I guess I can look elsewhere maybe. I really like the look of 43 though. looks just gorgeous. I've never been in the mountains. Farm land deer, moose and bear is all I've chased.

Thanks for the insight

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I have never been there, but I believe you are required to keep food in an approved bear-proof canister in the wilderness in that area. Just something to keep in mind and look into if you stick with that area. Somebody else can chime in if I’m remembering incorrectly.

Marble

WKR
Not sure of the requirements for bears here. But after 20 years hunting the unit ill never bring one in..

If anything, ill hang it up ina food bag in a tree. There are bears there, but not a lot.

Not sure of the requirements for bears here. But after 20 years hunting the unit ill never bring one in..

If anything, ill hang it up ina food bag in a tree. There are bears there, but not a lot.

That’s the exact mentality of why the USFS is cracking down on EVERYONE in the wilderness. They don’t wanna follow the rules because ya know they have been doing it longer so they don’t have to.... the requirement states any over night camper is required to have all foods and trash in a bear proof container unless it is in direct possession of the individual.

This is why conundrum creek went to permits, hanging lake, and soon the entire maroon bells wilderness. If you don’t want to follow the rules cause ur to good, you should stay outa the woods. This is why it ruins it for everyone else, this is why public lands get shut down.... o road closed? Well i live here so I can still drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk