Colorado unit 49 elk hunt

I drew a unit 49 1st rifle bull tag here in Colorado. I work at Henderson mine and see first hand every day how dry it is in the high country this year. Should I turn in my tag and try to draw it next year instead. I used 6 points to draw it and do not want to miss out on a big bull because of lack of moisture (protein). I plan to hunt at or near timberline during this hunt as long as the snow has not stacked up too deep. Historically I have seen some great bulls in 49 up this high during 1st season. Just curious what you think about antler growth due to the drought and if I should keep my tag. Thanks
Jim

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I have a chance to buy a landowner voucher in 49 and have wondered the same thing. I think I am going to buy it anyway to ensure that I have the opportunity next year.

OP
In God We Trust
I PM'd Chris and this is his response. Thanks for getting back with me right away Chris. I have a 3 day backpacking scouting trip planned for next weekend. I appreciate you writing the articles, very valuable information.

"I'd try to do some scouting to actually lay eyes on some of the 49 bulls right now. We had GREAT forage production last summer into fall in that area, and a relatively "easy" winter. There SHOULD have been plenty of bulls going into this spring that had great body condition to really kick off some great initial growth. Most of the time, dry summers only affect "later" antler growth (4ths, 5ths, and beam length) but that is much more accentuated on bulls that GROW LATE. ...if they start their growth LATE, they can be affected, if they start growing EARLY (like many have done this year and POSSIBLY in 49), they can be less affected - if at all.

Go up and start glassing this summer and see what you see. If you SEE a bull (or bulls) that look good enough for you, keep the tag. If NOT - maybe turn the tag in. My GUT tells me most of the bulls over there SHOULD see 85-95% of their full potential this year even though it's dry. They SHOULD have started early, and been able to take advantage of the good feed and body condition from last year to give them some decent head-gear.

But there are a lot of "shoulda, coulda, woulda, and ifs" in all that - so I'd try to verify!

Chris Roe - Roe Hunting Resources"

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Turning back a tag in hand would be the real waste IMO. You drew a tag you applied for.....go for it. You NEVER know what next year may or may NOT bring.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something else to consider if you turn your tag in. You will get your pref points back, but you won't get a point for this year.

OP
In God We Trust
I am going to keep it. The point creep deal is a good point. I may not draw it again for a few years. I have been watching big bulls in 49 for 6 years just waiting for a tag so I might as well hunt it.

Remember what Chris told you!!! Get in there and get EYES on your bull (BULLS) and make a good season for yourself by putting in the leg work now. It's a good tag to have take advantage of it the best that you can.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am going to keep it. The point creep deal is a good point. I may not draw it again for a few years. I have been watching big bulls in 49 for 6 years just waiting for a tag so I might as well hunt it.

Right thing to do IMO.Good Luck and have fun!

I was interested in what everyone thought of unit 49. I'm thinking about it this year for either muzzy or archery as I'd be close enough to do some scouting since I've not hunted it before but have seen some decent photos on various sites. Thanks for any tips to a newcomer on this site! Doug

i wouldn't worry too much about last years drought. hopefully the unit gets some rain this year and creates good food sources for the summer feed the bulls need during peak antler growth.

How did your hunt go?

I have been chasing unit 61 my whole life and now have 9 points. I was looking to cash in and leave the point creep chase. Unit 49 came up in my list of potentials. I would like to have a good opportunity at a 320 bull. Seems as though this unit is certainly a potentially good option. I like how remote one can get, but just looking for some info before I look to apply there.

bbrown

WKR
I hunted it first rifle last year and did a thread on here titled "Finally".
PM me if you have any questions.