Colorado unit 49 fourth rifle

netman

WKR
I hate doing this. My best friends son and I both have tags in use right now.
I have hunted 49 a few different hunts over the years.
Last fourth season I hunted in ‘19 there was a lot of snow and I found the elk. Now with zero snow the elk are not to be seen.
We have found areas that is plastered with sign but no elk. I believe they have moved on to somewhere else.
We got here last Friday and have been long range glassing and scouting our areas of interest from the fringe.
Yesterday was the opener and we tip toed into the areas for a all day hunt.
Just looking for some thoughts and or suggestions.
We hunted at 10,300 or so.
Headed to some thicker rougher terrain this morning.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I would imagine most of the elk are nocturnal and are not moving out of the timber during the day. The high winds will also keep them holed up in the timber. I’m curious as to what you findsince I’m planning to hunt 2nd season in 2022. PM sent

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sounds like you’re doing it right. Elk are where they are as they like to say. If you aren’t finding them keep moving.

CoStick

WKR
If there is private land near, look at travel paths from public to private.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
I didn’t see any elk this afternoon but did hear elk talking.
My buddy had 15 elk come within 30 yards of him before a cow sniffed him out. He said a few were spikes.
We both hunted the fringe of dark timber right at the crest of a rise.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are you looking for bulls or cows? I'm assuming bulls since no shots were taken at the cows. I have always hunted bulls up as high as I could get to even with heavy snow when I rifle hunted them, and was almost always successful doing that. This year would be a great year for that with the mild weather.

ColoradoV

WKR
Just got done helping a buddy in there warm w little snow making it well different this late season. Still w what we were chasing no way I would shoot a spike.

Good luck in the final days of your hunt.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
Yesterday I said I am going to lay down a spike from that point on. Right now I’m 10,500’ and still no elk.
It’s supposed to be in the 60’s today.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
We got two trucks and four guys. Two of us have tags. So while we are hunting the others are driving around looking for elk. We know they’re here but these guys are losing their drive. We’ve been here for 9 days.

OP
netman

netman

WKR
I'd want to be at least at timberline before first light in this weather, with lots of above timberline terrain to glass.
We are in the woods at 0500. I get jut inside and listen for elk talking and or movement.

tdhanses

WKR
We got two trucks and four guys. Two of us have tags. So while we are hunting the others are driving around looking for elk. We know they’re here but these guys are losing their drive. We’ve been here for 9 days.
I hunted there last year for 3rd season, one thing i noticed is 95% that do hunt it are road hunters, not once did we see anyone actually putting boots on the ground but us. Sounds like you aren’t going high enough.

Are you just walking out of camp that is next to a road each day? From what i remember 10k is pretty much the bottom of the unit, i’d go up.

What kind of sign are you seeing, the herds get big in there with 100 animals not being out of the question, just have to keep going till you find them.