Colorado Unit 521/52/411

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
I drew the 3rd season mule deer tag in this unit. Coming down from Idaho I probably wont get a trip down to scout outside of arriving a day or 2 early and a lot of escouting. I'm curious if there's anybody familiar with the unit that could help with some info? How are the roads, would it be wise to bring a quad/side by side? Does the unit get much snow that time of year? If available, should I pick up an elk tag too? Just looking for some general info. Thank you

Marble

WKR
That zone is invested with off road vehicles.

Be prepared for all weather conditions, wet and dry. I've had wet, dry, cold, hot, wind and lightening all in the same week there.

I do not hunt this zone, but I stay within mile of it and camp with guys that do hunt there. Even though I can hunt there, I choose not to because of the traffic with off road vehicles. Where I hunt nearby, there is no places to use them, so I stay there.

OP
BigShane54

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Marble. Definitely sounds like i'll need an atv to get places, but could be ok if I just get hiked in and away from roads. If my Idaho experience tells me anything, its theres a good chance a lot of them dont get far away from their vehicles. Hopefully thats true here too

jrice

FNG
I hunted 52 and 521 third season for deer about 4 years ago. Not sure if you can do a private message on here or not, but I'd be happy to talk to you for some info on north Idaho whitetails. I'm in eastern ID. Do you have maps of those units?

Marble

WKR
Thank you Marble. Definitely sounds like i'll need an atv to get places, but could be ok if I just get hiked in and away from roads. If my Idaho experience tells me anything, its theres a good chance a lot of them dont get far away from their vehicles. Hopefully thats true here too

With 3rd season in that area, there is a very good chance the bucks will be out of the high country. Especially this year as the season is later than normal.

If I were you, before I ventured out after deer I would want to find groups of them feeding in the morning. They will be rutting, or super close to it, so finding does will be important.

You will need to glass the high areas and the lower areas where they could be feeding.

It's a time of year with three things affecting the deer movement, hunting pressure, weather and the rut.

Good luck!!