Colorado Unit 55 Mule Deer Population

Long time reader but first time poster here. I have 16 deer preference points in Colorado, am 58 years old, running out of hunting years and tired of the preference point game. Point creep keeps all the best units just out of reach. Also, twice I have been ready to pull the trigger on a Gunnison Basin Unit during the past 12 years and twice there has been a huge winter kill. So I have decided (I think) to cash them in on a Unit 55 muzzleloader hunt. I am going with Unit 55 (I am primarily talking about the eastern wilderness areas) because I have done some summer and fall hiking there and know my way around the area to some degree. Gonna go muzzleloader because I love being in the high country during September. Sorry to be so long winded but my question is.....does anyone have any first hand information about the overall health of the deer population in this area. I know they cut tag numbers pretty severely two years ago. Also, if I am being totally stupid to spend my points in this fashion, I am open to ideas. Overall I am looking for a memorable hunt in beautiful country and although like anyone else would love to kill a monster, that is not my primary goal at this point. Thanks in advance!

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
You wanting to go DIY or guided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
DIY....I have my son-in-law and one of his friends that do not have any preference points but just want to come along to help and have a good time camping and hiking.

- - - Updated - - -

I've done several DIY elk hunts but just none in this area.

OP
T
Thanks for the replies, power has been out for three days here with the snow/ice storm so this is the first time I have been back on. I wonder how much the early seasons could change for 2020. Aren't they in the process of a new 5 year season structure? Any suggestions for a good 4th season unit with a lot of public ground?

Hoot

WKR
Thanks for the replies, power has been out for three days here with the snow/ice storm so this is the first time I have been back on. I wonder how much the early seasons could change for 2020. Aren't they in the process of a new 5 year season structure? Any suggestions for a good 4th season unit with a lot of public ground?

While it is possible that they could change for the next 5 year season structure, it is not likely in my opinion, based on history. There is some talk of going to a sept 1 start for archery elk, so that could change things, I am hoping if they do that they go even earlier for archery deer, but it is a probable bet to look at the last saturday in august as the archery start and two weekends after that the muzzleloader start...

Evening Bowuntr. Hate to contact you on this form but was looking to get ahold of you. I was hoping to get some basic info on a AZ mule deer hunt. I hunt the desert in mid January in full rut. I’ve contacted the fish and game biologists but they haven’t been helpful. looking to head north to 16A, 15D, or 18B. 18D is my 1st choice, trying to figure out when rut starts there or pre rut. Headed down next weekend/end again. Was hoping you could point me in the right direction to find rut, 0 rut the last few days in 44A. In advanced, I appreciate the help!

OFFHNTN

WKR
I have not heard how the deer are doing in unit 55 since the Gunnison basin got hammered in the winter of 2016/2017.
Best of luck on your hunt!

bat-cave

WKR
I have property down in GMU 55 and hunt it for archery Elk every year and have also chased Mulies, though most of my experience is also closer to CB. The deer population took a huge hit in recent years with big snows and a significant decline in the deer population and tags were reduced last year to reflect this. I saw very few deer this season. I normally see quite a few and have frequently run across some really nice bucks (a couple that even had hunters commenting on the "Elk" they had seen .. they were NOT Elk!) True story and while the hunters in question were not from the West and didn't have a lot of experience with Mule Deer / Elk and I'll cut them some slack .. they were really big bucks! I did see some nice bucks over Thanksgiving when the rut was in full swing, so they do exist .. but if the ground you are in is anything like where I am ... I don't think I would opt for it with that many points in hand!

OP
T
Thanks for all the info...maybe I will go back to the drawing board on this. Still have three months before application time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Evening Bowuntr. Hate to contact you on this form but was looking to get ahold of you. I was hoping to get some basic info on a AZ mule deer hunt. I hunt the desert in mid January in full rut. I’ve contacted the fish and game biologists but they haven’t been helpful. looking to head north to 16A, 15D, or 18B. 18D is my 1st choice, trying to figure out when rut starts there or pre rut. Headed down next weekend/end again. Was hoping you could point me in the right direction to find rut, 0 rut the last few days in 44A. In advanced, I appreciate the help!
'

Just send him a PM (personal message). Click on his screen name and you'll see that option in the drop-down.

Jake25

FNG
I have property down in GMU 55 and hunt it for archery Elk every year and have also chased Mulies, though most of my experience is also closer to CB. The deer population took a huge hit in recent years with big snows and a significant decline in the deer population and tags were reduced last year to reflect this. I saw very few deer this season. I normally see quite a few and have frequently run across some really nice bucks (a couple that even had hunters commenting on the "Elk" they had seen .. they were NOT Elk!) True story and while the hunters in question were not from the West and didn't have a lot of experience with Mule Deer / Elk and I'll cut them some slack .. they were really big bucks! I did see some nice bucks over Thanksgiving when the rut was in full swing, so they do exist .. but if the ground you are in is anything like where I am ... I don't think I would opt for it with that many points in hand
Had anything changed with quality or numbers? Thinking about 3rd season this year.

Thomas11

WKR
My understanding is numbers are good. Quality not what it was but that’s the consensus everywhere in CO. Prolly as good as third season tag as anywhere assuming u got the points

Jake25

FNG
My understanding is numbers are good. Quality not what it was but that’s the consensus everywhere in CO. Prolly as good as third season tag as anywhere assuming u got the points
Thanks Thomas11. Yes I have the points to draw, just wanted to see if it was worth it.

ColoradoV

WKR
Would not be my choice in the basin.. There is a local working group - on the health of the deer herds and most have reported there is a total missing age class of bucks from the 16-17’ winter… This is worse in the units that got the most snow 55-551 and less in the rest of the units 53,54, 66,67.

Good news is that hunters say there are a lot of young bucks but w the late seasons they are getting pounded so time will tell how many forkies get to grow up and how many get a ride back to town….

Sad to watch the destruction of Colorado’s deer happen so quickly as even 3 years ago any unit listed produced a fun hunt. Now that is not the case.

jlpoe

FNG
Would not be my choice in the basin.. There is a local working group - on the health of the deer herds and most have reported there is a total missing age class of bucks from the 16-17’ winter… This is worse in the units that got the most snow 55-551 and less in the rest of the units 53,54, 66,67.

Good news is that hunters say there are a lot of young bucks but w the late seasons they are getting pounded so time will tell how many forkies get to grow up and how many get a ride back to town….

Sad to watch the destruction of Colorado’s deer happen so quickly as even 3 years ago any unit listed produced a fun hunt. Now that is not the case.
so was looking at some of those same units, I have no points so draw is slim but would you recommend if I was just looking to fill my freezer?

so was looking at some of those same units, I have no points so draw is slim but would you recommend if I was just looking to fill my freezer?
Colorado does not have any tags issued randomly, all preference point. So you would need to pick units that can be drawn with 0. Check the CPW website for draw stats. Anywhere in Colorado you can find a forky with some small effort.

jlpoe

FNG
Colorado does not have any tags issued randomly, all preference point. So you would need to pick units that can be drawn with 0. Check the CPW website for draw stats. Anywhere in Colorado you can find a forky with some small effort.
thank you sir