Colorado Unit 551 Mule Deer (Muzzleloader)

Hello All,

I have been heavily doing research on trying to find a decent Colorado muzzleloader hunt this year. I currently have 2 points and I am looking to burn them as I already filled my Arizona deer tag. I jumped the gun a little and upgraded into a new muzzleloader that’s “Colorado ready”.

My question is, would unit 551 be a good area to burn my 2 points in? Would I be able to get away from the crowds and see a good number of deer if I hit it hard? This will definitely be a backpack hunt.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rob_orozco
Idk maybe the caliber of buck your wanting and exact drainages you are looking at for when people google search this later

I’m really not looking for anything crazy. I would be more than happy coming home with a 160 class buck with my muzzleloader

OP
Rob_orozco
Ooh yeah. 551. Tell me (and the world) more.

Will do! As I’m only asking a general question and not specific questions. Didn’t think it was that big of a deal.

Jbehredt

WKR
Will do! As I’m only asking a general question and not specific questions. Didn’t think it was that big of a deal.

General as in, is there lots of deer and few hunters? A response of yes on an open forum will hurt both of those conditions.

southLA

WKR
A "yes" response to "My question is, would unit 551 be a good area to burn my 2 points in?" lessens your chances of getting a "yes" on this question "Would I be able to get away from the crowds?", and also makes "burn my 2 points" change to "burn my 3 points."

Full disclosure I have never hunted 551, but these kind of questions hardly get answers. Good luck in your research.

That’s what I like to hear

Sorry for my sarcastic answer ha. Reality is…if you google “Colorado 551” Rokslide threads are at the top of the google search. I have never hunted here and have no idea if it’s a good unit for you or not, but in a unit with not a ton of tags the last thing you want is extra attention.

My advice is to look at harvest success and the terrain on google earth and decide if it looks like an enjoyable hunt. There are no real hidden gem units. If it takes two points it’s probably decent and if it’s in Colorado it has big buck potential.

cgasner1

WKR
We get a lot of this in this forum. Have you tried the search function and or google. Considering a tank of fuel is about the same price of a go hunt membership I’d highly recommend it to anyone crossing state lines. Kick your boots off and stay Swahili you may even figure out who the killers are around here and what state they live in and be able to get some intel from someone.

Lots of private land along the valley bottoms. Any animals get moved quickly onto the ranches with any pressure. Lots of dirt bikes and camping pressure during the summer. Camp up there occasionally, hunted it once 20 years ago. It's a typical Colorado sagebrush unit, with average deer numbers and quality, nothing special. Call DOW and ask about the winter kill up there the last few years, that's a deciding factor in most of the units around there. Hunt along the backs of the irrigated private land, might get lucky.

Last edited: