Colorado

Has anyone hunted / scouted unit 61 in in Colorado recently? I may have the ability to buy an archery landowner tag and am considering it for a DYI hunt there with my young son. I know that there was a fire in part of the unit and wondering if that has had a negative effect? I don't need to kill a giant elk to be thrilled just want to see a good number of elk and have the chance to screw up and have another encounter.

(Also if anyone knows of landowner tags in that area I'd love to hear about it. I have learned they are not cheap so trying to gather info to make an educated decision.)

Thanks!

ckleeves

WKR
No negative impact whatsoever. The top part of the burn really wasn’t that hot, on some of the dark timber slopes it just burned strips and left lots of timber. Cleaned up deadfall in the aspens and took out some oakbrush.

Only you can decide if it’s worth a voucher. It’s always a real fun unit, but I don’t know if it’s
$$$$.$$ fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone hunted / scouted unit 61 in in Colorado recently? I may have the ability to buy an archery landowner tag and am considering it for a DYI hunt there with my young son. I know that there was a fire in part of the unit and wondering if that has had a negative effect? I don't need to kill a giant elk to be thrilled just want to see a good number of elk and have the chance to screw up and have another encounter.

(Also if anyone knows of landowner tags in that area I'd love to hear about it. I have learned they are not cheap so trying to gather info to make an educated decision.)

Thanks!
Eeschmeyer, I am also looking at that area to rifle hunt in and have done extensive research on it all winter. I am a wildlife biologist so i can tell you that the fire that happened there will only make better habitat for elk.

Phaseolus

WKR
I hiked through it last August, the fire was very spotty and will have no impact on elk hunting in a negative way. If you can afford it you should do it, I killed a nice bull during second season 5 years ago and a fat cow third season last November. Shoot me a PM if you like, I live close to 61 and recreate there in the summers because Grand Mesa has too many mosquitoes.

Archbull

FNG
Plenty of elk and bugling. Quality of Bulls is not as good as it once was but great hunt fro 280-320 bulls. You'll find bigger Bulls down in the canyons. I've always had better luck on the south end.

We hunted archery in there 5 years and ago and it was an incredibly fun hunt. I have hunted in that "area" for years and have friends that live there and are there it seems like every other year.

I were into elk every day and saw plenty of 280-300 in bulls and had passed wanting something bigger. The yer after a friend drew a muzzleloader tag and shot a solid 330 bull.

For me, I would suggest outlining your expectation and what you want from the hunt. Its not a 20 plus point unit, but when comparing the LO tag cost vs. say New Mexico Gila units, chances are the 61 tag would be less.

I would do it again, loved the camp the terrain again just a fun hunt.

bascott1

WKR
Brother in laws Bull from 61 last year. Great hunt from what they said.

Attachments

• EAAA4DC4-7828-4987-9A31-13102780A06C.jpeg
    EAAA4DC4-7828-4987-9A31-13102780A06C.jpeg
    624.2 KB · Views: 178

jray5740

Lil-Rokslider
I havent hunted Elk in 61, but I did hunt bear there last year. I struck out....apparently there was a late June freeze that killed alot of the oakbrush acorns and the bears moved south.....I saw some cows, never a bull. Dont go around Labor Day as it is highly recreated with ATV/UTV/Camper etc..

I hiked through it last August, the fire was very spotty and will have no impact on elk hunting in a negative way. If you can afford it you should do it, I killed a nice bull during second season 5 years ago and a fat cow third season last November. Shoot me a PM if you like, I live close to 61 and recreate there in the summers because Grand Mesa has too many mosquitoes.
Thanks for your input. I would like to PM you as soon as i am qualified as i am a new member

Brother in laws Bull from 61 last year. Great hunt from what they said.
Wow nice bull good job. I have been seeing lots of pics of bulls in the 350 class. But most comments are the bulls are in the 300-320 s. Must still be some big ones killed in there regularly for those willing to work hard for them

No negative impact whatsoever. The top part of the burn really wasn’t that hot, on some of the dark timber slopes it just burned strips and left lots of timber. Cleaned up deadfall in the aspens and took out some oakbrush.

Only you can decide if it’s worth a voucher. It’s always a real fun unit, but I don’t know if it’s
$$$$.$$ fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know some of the Oak brush got burned. I have hunted elk for over 30 years. So i am very excited to finally have enough resident points to draw this hunt.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Just like every other hunt, some guys say it was awesome and some say its overrated.

Phaseolus

WKR
There are lots of cow tags put out in 61. You’ll have company. Plus every license holder brings all 6 of his brothers-in-law.
The Brother in laws drop out quick when you go into the canyons, never been a problem very far off The Divide Road.

The Brother in laws drop out quick when you go into the canyons, never been a problem very far off The Divide Road.
Thread appears dead, and I'm new here, so I can't PM. Drew the 61 Early Rifle tag for this year (2021), looking for tips, since it's been a 20-year wait. I've hunted in 61 before, but it's been 4-5 years, before the fire and the oakbrush was already getting incredibly thick.

I'm used to hunting off Divide Road on the south end (east of Columbine), and then off the Delta/Nucla road south of Columbine (Tabaguache areas). Getting a lot of tips to take my scouting farther northwest from here, thoughts? I'd PM you, but I can't since I'm a noob lol...

Thread appears dead, and I'm new here, so I can't PM. Drew the 61 Early Rifle tag for this year (2021), looking for tips, since it's been a 20-year wait. I've hunted in 61 before, but it's been 4-5 years, before the fire and the oakbrush was already getting incredibly thick.

I'm used to hunting off Divide Road on the south end (east of Columbine), and then off the Delta/Nucla road south of Columbine (Tabaguache areas). Getting a lot of tips to take my scouting farther northwest from here, thoughts? I'd PM you, but I can't since I'm a noob lol...
Acejiggy, I am also new to rockslide but have been an active contributor over on hunt talk for fa few years. I look forward to getting more involved here. Anyways would love to chat about your 61 hunt. I spent the last weekend in the unit and plan to go back a few more times before season. I drew the archery tag this year. Anyways would love to chat about the unit and how I plan to approach it. My game plan def changed after driving through the unit and matching up my e scouting to real life