Colorado Unit 62

bailey214

FNG
Just leaving Colorado Unit 62 and hunted 3rd season. I’m not looking for anyone’s honey hole just wanted to see if anyone hunted it this year and saw any elk. We hiked in 7 miles, walked 4 or more miles every day, climbed every awful slope in the backcountry and didn’t see anything. Second year hunting in that unit and thinking about making a change.

Smarpin

FNG
As an out of stater I’ve heard 62 was good for oppurtunitie, and was on my short list of units, maybe I should reconsider

gbflyer

WKR
Thing about 62 is the country is massive. It holds plenty of animals but it’s like hunting the whole state of Rhode Island. Also, there are a ton of roads that get atv pressure year around. Easy access and not too steep, lots and lots of hunters, but the country is large enough that you can get away from them most of the time. Lots of cattle grazing there too. Lots.

Not uncommon to be successful 1/2mi from the road. Equally as true to go an entire season and not see a damned thing. The elk really don’t seem to hold anywhere in the rifle seasons. I’ve seen them spook and cross one of those big ass canyons in what seems like several minutes and keep right on going. Amazing to watch.

Grew up there. Still go back sometimes. Love the scenery. If we connect one year in 3 we count ourselves lucky. I’m sure others do much better.

Phaseolus

WKR
Where in the world did you hike back 7 miles in 62, that’s really hard to do without crossing multiple roads...:)