Colorado Unit 65 1st Rifle

Pigskin

That’s it! Everyone turns your tags in, it’s totally not worth.
Haha......yea go ahead, turn it in.
Let’s blow it out of context, people are crawling all over 65, what do you think the elk do there when that happens? I’m saying there are better units.

UTJL

Let’s blow it out of context, people are crawling all over 65, what do you think the elk do there when that happens? I’m saying there are better units.
Would you care to share those units?

OP
D

doffiehoward

I know there are definitely better units but first rifle success rates and the type of hunt I'm looking for lead me to 65. Doing this trip on my own so it really is to get familiar with the area and maybe I'm lucky enough from the work put in to fill a tag. Worst case the memories will be awesome and the fishing will be good when the hunts over.

GringoBling

I personally feel that some of the "overcrowded" comments are based on people staying too close to roads at low elevation. To get to the elk, you have have to hike to areas where the general hunter is not willing to go. Those that are fat and out of shape aren't necessarily best suited for elk hunting. Despite my insistence on them getting into decent shape, I bring guys with me every year that can't make the necessary hikes to get to good terrain.

chasewild

Literally anywhere in MT will have less people than 65 in CO. Even the deepest pockets have boot tracks from July through October. I've hunted sheep, mule deer, elk, etc. and it's gorgeous country, but ya, people.

Posts with unit numbers....everyone is sick of seeing them, and commenting on them, or attempting to ignore them. Did you do a rokslide search before you added to the litany of threads?

OP
D

doffiehoward

Literally anywhere in MT will have less people than 65 in CO. Even the deepest pockets have boot tracks from July through October. I've hunted sheep, mule deer, elk, etc. and it's gorgeous country, but ya, people.

Posts with unit numbers....everyone is sick of seeing them, and commenting on them, or attempting to ignore them. Did you do a rokslide search before you added to the litany of threads?
Yes, but I didn't see anything on access roads which is what the original questions were in reference to. My two questions in the original post were purely around the roads to access the unit.

UTJL

Yes, but I didn't see anything on access roads which is what the original questions were in reference to. My two questions in the original post were purely around the roads to access the unit.
I may be in the minority but I feel like you’re original question was fine. It didn’t ask for specific spots and hadn’t been covered before. This is a message board for DIY hunting.

The thread got highjacked because someone decided to inform us that there are better units in Colorado than one that takes 0 points to draw and gives out 800 tags in a season.

OP
D

doffiehoward

Bring chains, air compressor, tire plug kit, and something to jump your battery with
Thanks, I always bring the compressor, plug kit, and jumper with me since I got two flats on the North Fork Flathead road headed to Polebridge MT to fly fish. Not fun that far from towns.

OP
D

doffiehoward

I may be in the minority but I feel like you’re original question was fine. It didn’t ask for specific spots and hadn’t been covered before. This is a message board for DIY hunting.

The thread got highjacked because someone decided to inform us that there are better units in Colorado than one that takes 0 points to draw and gives out 800 tags in a season.
Agreed

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanjuan65