Colorado Unit 65

Hello,
I was hoping anyone that has elk hunted unit 65 could PM me, I have a few questions.
Thanks
Corey

conley417

Lil-Rokslider
Not a lot of bugles, busy, steep. Probably going to be even busier this year with the changes

OP
P
That’s what I have gathered. First time ever elk hunting and going out of state hunting. Hoping to have a safe and productive trip. Just getting into elk would be a bonus for our first trip.

cwhite

FNG
I've been a member for a while but have never posted. I hunted in unit 65 for 2 seasons and have a friend that has hunted there 35 years in a row. I put in around 14 miles a day and saw plenty of elk. I shot a 6 point and tracked for 3 days over 2 miles and never found it. My buddy and his guys usually are about 50% for killing elk and have taken several in the 270-300 range. I would advise to go where the 4wheelers cant.

OP
P
I've been a member for a while but have never posted. I hunted in unit 65 for 2 seasons and have a friend that has hunted there 35 years in a row. I put in around 14 miles a day and saw plenty of elk. I shot a 6 point and tracked for 3 days over 2 miles and never found it. My buddy and his guys usually are about 50% for killing elk and have taken several in the 270-300 range. I would advise to go where the 4wheelers cant.

Thank you for sharing you experiences with unit 65. I’m counting down the days until we leave. No mater what happens, I’m sure will be a great trip.
Take it easy

cwhite

FNG
I would highly suggest going out a couple days early to scout and acclimate to the elevation. We camped at around 9k and hunted up to 10.5k. A couple days makes a big difference.

sotxks

FNG
We are leaving out Thursday morning for 65. Hoping to have some time Friday to scout around a bit. Good Luck!

dany4585

FNG
That’s what I have gathered. First time ever elk hunting and going out of state hunting. Hoping to have a safe and productive trip. Just getting into elk would be a bonus for our first trip.
Corey, I am considering 65 for archery this fall. I can't message you, but how did the hunt go? I also went on my first elk hunt last fall in CO 444. It was a lot of fun, a few elk, no shot opportunities. I'm curious about 65, and would be great to hear how you liked it. Thanks.

Hello,
I was hoping anyone that has elk hunted unit 65 could PM me, I have a few questions.
Thanks
Corey
I learned how to elk hunt in this unit and its where I killed my first elk. It used to be decent when I hunted it back in 2016. Since then its just got more and more popular. Beautiful place, but too crowded now for my taste.

Gerbdog

WKR
6X6 bulls everywhere in this unit. I dont know why more people do not hunt this unit. You can go several days and not see a person.........can't wait to go back.
^^ has to be legit

On that note, the big bulls in that unit are so plentiful i saw a hunter lasso a 6x6 bull and ride it up the mountain to kill a bigger 6x6 and pack the meat out for him.

He branded the Colorado flag on the bulls flank, slapped it on the rear, and drove back home out East. Best hunt he ever had he said.

Not to sound like a prick (i am, dont mistake it) but its that time of year when everyone (new guys) posts unit numbers in their thread titles. Or anywhere in their post.

Just dont do it, no one wants to give you good information that is easily searchable on the internet, its the best way to over crowd your hunting spot when everyone gets the same information you do.