Colorado Unit 66 4th Season-Mule Deer

This is my first post on this site and i'm not sure how things work so thought I'd begin by introducing myself first. Guess I'll start with the basics. My name is Scott and I have lived in Washington my life other than the few years I lived in Boise going to college. I grew up hunting with my family and have made many great memories. Ive been lucky enough to take many great animals from deer to moose in Washington and am looking for some general information on an upcoming deer hunt in unit 66 Colorado. My uncle drew the non resident deer tag in 66 for the 4th season. He has been putting in for around 26 years to draw the tag. He was in a logging accident 26 years ago and the family started putting him in for points hoping that one year we could take him. Well after some personal health issues over the years he finally decided to put in for the tag and he got it. Im not looking for anyones honey holes but more general information or general areas to focus on. My uncle and grandpa will be driving over a week early to start scouting and figure the area out. Not ideal for such a sought after tag I know. I know the weather plays a big role in where the deer will be but with the 4th season id imagine its gonna be cold and snow. Anyways i'll stop dragging on but any general information on the unit would be much appreciated.

Im not too familiar with the area, but with 4th season hunts you can probably focus on the mid to lower elevation portions of an area and probably won't have trouble finding some deer. Most of those types of areas in Colorado are generally accessible by vehicle.

I doubt there are any honey holes for that unit because it takes time to draw.

There are some nice canyons in there. The ability to take same long distance shots would be recommended.

Get there at least 2 days prior to glass different dark timber strips. Glass, glass, glass.

Find the does.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great tag There will be a lot of deer in the sage. Keep checking as many groups of does as you can.

OP
seaston1989
I doubt there are any honey holes for that unit because it takes time to draw.

There are some nice canyons in there. The ability to take same long distance shots would be recommended.

Get there at least 2 days prior to glass different dark timber strips. Glass, glass, glass.

Find the does.
I appreciate that information. with a unit like that I can see that we will be spending a lot of time behind the glass. Thanks again!

OP
seaston1989
That’s a great tag There will be a lot of deer in the sage. Keep checking as many groups of does as you can.
It looks like most of the area in the north of the unit is all sage. I’d imagine a lot of the deer will be down low with the right weather. Thanks for the information!!

OP
seaston1989
Im not too familiar with the area, but with 4th season hunts you can probably focus on the mid to lower elevation portions of an area and probably won't have trouble finding some deer. Most of those types of areas in Colorado are generally accessible by vehicle.
That’s what we were thinking. Most the deer should be pushed in the lower portions from the weather in the 4th season. Cover some ground and glass is the idea before the hunt!!!