Colorado Unit 66 draw odds?

Ritzer81

FNG
What are the odds of drawing a non-resident, 1st season Elk rifle tag for unit 66? Group of 4, each of us has 2 points going into this year so we would have 3 points with this years application. I am trying to make sense of the 2021 Colorado big game book but not sure what I am looking at.

Thank you in advance.

Vandy321

WKR
What are the odds of drawing a non-resident, 1st season Elk rifle tag for unit 66? Group of 4, each of us has 2 points going into this year so we would have 3 points with this years application. I am trying to make sense of the 2021 Colorado big game book but not sure what I am looking at.

Thank you in advance.

You can look it up on CPW website and get a ballpark of what it took to draw for NR the last few years.

Thank you in advance.
Unless I’m misunderstanding what you typed it doesn’t work like that. You don’t get a point until the draw is over and your first choice wasn’t successful.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
They are correct saying 3 points gets you a First Rifle Tag in 66 points. And not everyone may get a tag, even with 3 pts. If you do have only 2 points, your better off putting in for 3rd Rifle. But that's only if you can put up with sub zero temps and usually lots of snow. 2nd rifle is a really tough hunt in that unit.

Looking at the screenshot above, you can see that 57 non-residents applied with 3 points. Of them, 41 drew the tag. Your odds of drawing this year with 2 points are basically 0%.

OP
R

Ritzer81

FNG
Thank you everyone. I plan to switch gears and chase Mule Deer in Montana this year and apply for another point,

Thanks again

I don’t have the stats in front of me, but you could likely hunt 1st season in Unit 67 with 2 points. 67 has less pressure, too.

OP
R

Ritzer81

FNG
So we ended up just putting in for another point in CO and apply for Big Game Combo in MT. We did draw that this year so OTC it will be for this year.