Colorado Unit 66 Gunnison Co ATV / UTV Laws

Hello All,
By chance does anyone know what roads are allowed and what are not allowed to operate on?
I do plan to put a call in but just wanted to check and see if anyone may know offhand
Thanks

Most roads that don't allow motorized access (including bicycles) seem to be pretty clearly marked in my experience.

OP
B
Thanks
Too funny
Unfortunately MVUM really shows nothing for the unit
Contact Gunnison DFG and they had no idea and said it is mostly BLM and need to talk with them
Called BLM and they really have no idea and said to call Lake City ATV / UTV rental and that they “should” have a better idea what is legal and not 😄😄😄
I think I maybe getting a ticket 😄😄

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I was in 66 last year hunting deer during the 2nd season. There were guys using sxs that were elk hunting up higher in the trees. The roads weren't too bad where we concentrated for deer.

We took a sxs and unloaded once to go towards Silverton. There's a loop road that everyone uses their sxs for in the summertime. I don't think you have anything to worry about as sxs travel is what that area is known for.

You could call the sheriff's office and ask about riding on a county road. There is one that connects highways in the unit down low. That's about the only road I can think of that you might get jammed up on.

Last edited:
Legally, you are supposed to get an OHV sticker from CPW if you are driving it on any public roads. If you don’t have one, you could probably avoid a ticket, but you might be opening yourself to unnecessary questioning if you get stopped.

Grant K

FNG
the BLM has an interactive map, link below... good luck with the useability of it in the field but you can at least get an idea of what's ok, the forest service MVUM is also linked, there's not a ton of useful info as there really aren't a ton of useable roads on NF in 66.
FWIW a quick glance at the motorized use layer on OnX looks pretty accurate.