Colorado unit 76 3rd rifle elk

druff7

FNG
Me and my brother drew bull tags in 76 for 3rd rifle this year. Season dates are November 7-13. Used 12 points as we are nonresidents. Have been doing tons of e-scouting. Would really just like some pointers of areas to start in this unit since i have never been to Colorado before. Anything helps thanks!

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Never been to Colorado and your going to one of the best units in the state! Good luck that is one of my favorite areas, very pretty country for sure.

I was just in unit 76 this past weekend for a camping/fishing trip. I didn’t see any elk or much fresh sign, but I also wasn’t looking too hard. With the season dates being pushed later for 3rd season than in years past and the ever unpredictable CO weather, I would have some places mapped out in lower elevations (which you may already have). I wish I had more info for you for that time of year, but I imagine things change drastically come middle of November compared to when I usually go in August/September. Good luck!

There really isn't any "low" country in 76. Also to the poster above you must have had your eyes closed to not see elk in 76 😀
That is a good point on not much “low” country. I guess “lower” is the better term lol. And I saw everything but elk. Granted I only camped in and fished one drainage. Which now that I think about it, this was the first time I haven’t seen elk on my annual fishing trip to the area. I’m gonna have to bring my good binos next time so y’all don’t give me a hard time when I don’t see any!;)

Poser

WKR
I’ve only spent time in 76 in the summer months. Elk in the San Juan’s do seem to hang in the high country for longer than you’d expect. Obviously that has a lot to do with the snow levels of that particular year, but don’t rule out the 10-11 k elevation range just because it’s 3rd rifle. I bumped into a herd at about 9500 last December when I was out backcountry skiing and the snow was a good 50-60 inches.

CJF

WKR
Chains
Shovel
Stove

It's gonna be cold....and if there's any early storms you could be in feet of snow

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Low country in this unit is 9k. I actually mean the lowest spot in the unit is about 9k!!!

I’ve only spent time in 76 in the summer months. Elk in the San Juan’s do seem to hang in the high country for longer than you’d expect. Obviously that has a lot to do with the snow levels of that particular year, but don’t rule out the 10-11 k elevation range just because it’s 3rd rifle. I bumped into a herd at about 9500 last December when I was out backcountry skiing and the snow was a good 50-60 inches.
In your experience, is this unique to the San Juan’s then or does it depend on several factors? As I mentioned before, I have never been in this unit after September, but other units I have hunted 3rd/4th season I always started down low if there was that much snow.

I really appreciate you sharing as I would not have thought to look for elk with that much snow on the ground!

Poser

WKR
In your experience, is this unique to the San Juan’s then or does it depend on several factors? As I mentioned before, I have never been in this unit after September, but other units I have hunted 3rd/4th season I always started down low if there was that much snow.

I really appreciate you sharing as I would not have thought to look for elk with that much snow on the ground!

I don’t know if it’s unique to the SJs, but conventional elk hunting wisdom would always have you much lower than that elevation.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
A big reason 76 is not known for trophy bulls is because many of the elk migrate out of the unit when it snows. As someone referenced, 9k is low ground in 76. And it will be private. The migrating elk go into neighboring units and take a bullet.

There are plenty of elk in the unit during the summer, but I would never risk hunting this unit in 3rd or 4th rifle. The roads suck in the summer. Throwing a few feet of snow on them would turn you into the Donner party.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I’m going to guess that means it was a disappointing result for over a decade of points burned...