Colorado unit 76 archery elk

Hi, I have been lurking on the forum for ages (since 2013), but am not one to gossip about my units, and am generally just doing research. I am a Colorado native, who has been hunting assorted Gunnison Basin units for 20+ years, with a number of archery, muzzleloader and rifle elk under my belt. I generally hunt 2nd and 3rd choice draw or OTC archery. I have 9 points this year, and have a chance of drawing a 76 Muzzleloader tag this year. (I hope...). I have 4-5 potential areas that I am e-scouting right now, but with 2 little kids, the chance of more than 1 good scouting trip this summer is going to be tough. I am going to head up 2-3 days before season to locate some herds in whatever area I decide on. I am going to be solo backpacking (mobile camp, hunt off my back) with possibly a friend calling for me depending on his draw results... I am planning on ridge running above tree-line to glass drainages and bottom land. Wilderness only to avoid the ATVs. Plenty of meat in the freezer, so I'm hoping to put a 310-320ish bull down, willing to glass a lot of animals before I put one down. I am not afraid of pulling one out from in deep, hiked out my buddies first bull from 9 miles back and 5000' above the trucks last year. I am just looking for general feedback from people who have hunted/ scouted this unit (areas to avoid, areas used by outfitter camps, feedback on the areas I'm looking at, areas that others might be willing to share some beta on). I can trade info on various Gunnison basin units, but won't post them in a thread. Please PM me so we can chat if anyone can help out. Thanks!

Ry15u

FNG
Hey solowilderness! More than happy to help- PM me and I can give you guidance. Amazing unit - hope you can draw the tag this year or in the coming couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
330” proved a challenge to find in 76 last year, but did arrow one. Saw a few larger bulls larger over 20 days of hunting hard and going deep with llamas. We spent a ton of time behind big glass so felt we were getting a great look at available quality versus being in thick timber chasing bugles.

Passed on numerous 300+ bulls and scads of P&Y bulls in bow range and it sure seems a little foolish given what we were seeing but stuck with the plan for 320+ or bust and it all worked out. Saw one giant 360+ bull wallowing next to a BUSY forest road in heavily day hunted area and did chase a couple 340ish bulls. Mostly hunted miles deep with llamas we rented for the month in some spots but p;lenty of good hunting to be had from a truck camp for guys not renting or bringing livestock.

My bull was killed 9 miles from the truck and we were packed in 7 miles deep for 8 days on that part of the hunt. Our camp was a few miles past the deepest outfittter camp and that outfitter still had the nerve to get pissed as if we were hunting on top of him. Never saw another person or human footprint on that 8 day trip which was glorious given we were covered in elk that were ours to play with at our own pace and no other hunters poking around to muck it up.

E8189E5E-9A42-4C04-9E0B-07291C81ED86.jpeg4F5088FF-EAB4-4929-9B6C-F9E25E951CAC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Barrelkhunter
330” proved a challenge to find in 76 last year, but did arrow one. Saw a few larger bulls larger over 20 days of hunting hard and going deep with llamas. We spent a ton of time behind big glass so felt we were getting a great look at available quality versus being in thick timber chasing bugles.

Passed on numerous 300+ bulls and scads of P&Y bulls in bow range and it sure seems a little foolish given what we were seeing but stuck with the plan for 320+ or bust and it all worked out. Saw one giant 360+ bull wallowing next to a BUSY forest road in heavily day hunted area and did chase a couple 340ish bulls. Mostly hunted miles deep with llamas we rented for the month in some spots but p;lenty of good hunting to be had from a truck camp for guys not renting or bringing livestock.

My bull was killed 9 miles from the truck and we were packed in 7 miles deep for 8 days on that part of the hunt. Our camp was a few miles past the deepest outfittter camp and that outfitter still had the nerve to get pissed as if we were hunting on top of him. Never saw another person or human footprint on that 8 day trip which was glorious given we were covered in elk that were ours to play with at our own pace and no other hunters poking around to muck it up.

View attachment 406630View attachment 406631
Congrats on an amazing bull. I’m hoping to draw it this year because last year I didn’t draw due to point creep so fingers crossed for this year. If I do maybe I can get some info from you if your willing to share. I have 4 spots in mind to scout some super deep as I have livestock at my availability if needed/wanted. I have the plan of 320+ or bust but we’ll see how trigger happy I get because I’ve never hunted a draw unit, always OTC so for the most part first legal bull with a shot opportunity got an arrow poked at him.

OP
Barrelkhunter
Solowilderness .My name is Luke I hunted 76 last year give me a call or text-970-568-6207
Hey Luke I appreciate it if I draw I will hit you up for sure. I plan to make several scouting trips hoping to find good rut signs from last year and prior years and hopefully see some elk as well even though I know for the most part the bulls don’t summer where they rut.

bow_hiker

FNG
Hey berrelkkiller, I have an archery tag for 76 and have scouted the unit a couple times. If you drew and would like to compare notes let me know.