Colorado unit 76 archery elk

Hello everyone,
I’m looking to burn my points this year in Colorado unit 76 for archery elk. I have been doing a lot of research and now a new user on this forum to bring up a discussion. I’m planning on starting scouting property may-June time frame. I have several way points to go and check out but am curious. Is it a reality to find a 320-330 bull and am I going to need to expect to pack in or can I hunt from the road or maybe short bivy hunts. I usually like to stay mobile within a unit and don’t like to be tied down to one spot unless it’s necessary. I have access to dirt bike, atv, and mules. Any info to give me maybe a place to start for my scouting would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vandy321

WKR
I was postholing over weiminuche pass the first week of June last year...definitely check with the FS on snowpack before you go. Did see a few bulls though that had a nice growth for early in the year.

I dont hunt there and have no plans to spend points there in the future, but shoot me a PM if I can help with my limited knowledge.

OP
Barrelkhunter
I was postholing over weiminuche pass the first week of June last year...definitely check with the FS on snowpack before you go. Did see a few bulls though that had a nice growth for early in the year.

I dont hunt there and have no plans to spend points there in the future, but shoot me a PM if I can help with my limited knowledge.
I kinda figured that would be the case so I’m more looking at the second to last weekend of June for a first trip out as I am getting married the last weekend of June. So won’t be able to go again till maybe the weekend of the 4th.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A mule trip into the Weminuche would make a great honeymoon. (y)

I have debated saving my points for that unit, but always seem to dump them before that happens. I'm closer again now so might just do that.......or dump them again. It's a big unit with lots of places to get away in there, even outside the wilderness area. I would think that a 320ish bull would be very doable with enough hunting time.

OP
Barrelkhunter
A mule trip into the Weminuche would make a great honeymoon. (y)

I have debated saving my points for that unit, but always seem to dump them before that happens. I'm closer again now so might just do that.......or dump them again. It's a big unit with lots of places to get away in there, even outside the wilderness area. I would think that a 320ish bull would be very doable with enough hunting time.
That’s my thoughts as well and I also know as far as bringing mules in I know there’s a lot of outfitters in the wilderness in most the good looking spots for keeping the mules for their care “grass,water” but I am keeping it an option. I’ll be doing some backpacking scouting trips 1-2nights at a time and as far as a honeymoon she’s more thinking a possible moose hunt together in Canada in the next few years maybe lol

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
there used to be a guy on Monstermuleys forum that would spend his summers backpacking in 76 with a camera. he would come out every few days and post pics. Beautiful country and at that time fantastic elk pics. my understanding from those threads... no the easiest to archery hunt

Phaseolus

WKR
there used to be a guy on Monstermuleys forum that would spend his summers backpacking in 76 with a camera. he would come out every few days and post pics. Beautiful country and at that time fantastic elk pics. my understanding from those threads... no the easiest to archery hunt
Rocketman

Beendare

WKR
I’ve hunted it archery.
There might be a couple 320 to 330 bulls in that unit. I think your goal is a bit unrealistic if you are a bow hunter.

The reality is there are not many bulls of that caliber killed in that unit and the guys that do use a muzzleloader.

You can scout early and that gives you a good lay of the land but typically those elk will be in different areas during the hunting seasons.

Last edited:

KB86

FNG
This bull was killed by my mom in 78. She is a local in the area. Think it scored 305 or 310 which is very big for that area. I think 76 would have bulls like this but more of them. I have hunted the border of 76 on continental divide and have seen some nice ones. Outfitters like to pack in to spruce lakes. Bulls definitely talk a lot more in 76 during archery from what I hear. I would stick to being mobile like you said and bugle em upB37ACE50-CC78-4BB4-9F9F-34EC1046651C.jpeg

2bulls

FNG
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the sight just posted one or twice but wanted to introduce my self. My name is Luke i live in norther co. was a guide for 8 years and loved the job. and a life long bow hunter I shoot a recurve most of the time and a Mathews when the shoulders are bad .I hunt many state and Canada love to help people but will not give up my honey holes I hunt every other year or so but will help any one out with what I can in hard to draw areas if I have any help to offer. I posted on this forum because I have 9 points and trying to draw 76 this year also don't need no ones holey holes just want to talk about the unit and see everyone's input .My expectations for the unit is reasonable. would love to talk to anyone that has spent time and that unit.( and yes i know I'm terrible at spelling and punctuation just want to talk hunting) Thanks guys.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,
I’m looking to burn my points this year in Colorado unit 76 for archery elk. I have been doing a lot of research and now a new user on this forum to bring up a discussion. I’m planning on starting scouting property may-June time frame. I have several way points to go and check out but am curious. Is it a reality to find a 320-330 bull and am I going to need to expect to pack in or can I hunt from the road or maybe short bivy hunts. I usually like to stay mobile within a unit and don’t like to be tied down to one spot unless it’s necessary. I have access to dirt bike, atv, and mules. Any info to give me maybe a place to start for my scouting would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Use to live in 76, just east of Creede. PM with any serious locations and I’ll help you out. I wouldn’t worry too much about snow pack this year as we haven’t had a very big winter. 320 inch bulls are definitely possible in that unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondoArcher

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a bull from that unit. What do you think he would score?

Attachments

• 2020-09-19 18-21 Sat Fury Basin Tank.jpg
    2020-09-19 18-21 Sat Fury Basin Tank.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 298
So barrelk..shoot me a pm with your email and a phone number. I have never hunted 76, I am too old and found Colorado too late in life to get enough points. I have hiked it and have found a spot or two with some awesome bulls, my buddy has a cabin in Lake City and we have gone up there about 7 times.

2bulls

FNG
I would say that bull is in the early 300-310 mark i got him at 306 but That's off one picture. I would shoot him any day .I have learned talking score can start a lot of debates I'm just given my opinion on one pic.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, pictures are tough to score off of. I've even seen bulls while hunting giving me a perfectly clear bow shot at them, and decided to pass.......only to regret that decision after they turned and gave me a different view. But I would agree from just looking at this pic......at least high 200's and quite possibly low 300's. But even one inch on each point can sway the total 12" in either direction. It's hard to judge 1" without a tape measure.

Tackett77

FNG
I’ve hunted 76 twice in the past 10 years and in my experience I would say a 320 bull would be trophy for the unit it is a fun hunt . Plan on breathing particles of O2 for extended times!

2bulls

FNG
I drew unit 76 archery elk any help would be greatly appreciate and not looking for any honey holes just some feed back on the unit. Thanks everyone.

Ry15u

FNG
I drew unit 76 archery elk any help would be greatly appreciate and not looking for any honey holes just some feed back on the unit. Thanks everyone.
Hey @2bulls feel free to pm me. I haven't hunted the unit but dad drew a first season rifle tag this year. We'll be up scouting 2 or 3 times between now and Oct. Happy to compare notes!