colorado unit 76

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
hey guys I just joined the information on here is awesome. last year after 15 years I was able to draw a archery tag in Utah and killed a nice bull on the last day of a 14 day hunt. This year I should draw a tag for unit 76 and would love to do the same, any help would be appreciated. Some ? can you day hunt this unit and get away from people or should you back pack in for best results. if you had 2 weeks to hunt what dates would you go, any other helpful tips would be great,

Check out MonsterMulies, Colorado, lots of good info on 76 over there.

I hear that's a great hunt. Good luck.

ST52v

WKR
A good friend of mine Ed aka Teeton hunted 76 last year. He is active on bowsite. He's a great guy and will help you out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
If I were you, I'd take the advice given by ST52V and look up Teeton. Big unit. Can certainly day hunt and get away from people. We had no problems with pressure in 1st rifle and we day hunted and were in elk. Spots to back pack in if you desire and spots so far in you'd want/need pack animals.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
I have the points and plan on puling the archery tag this year also. What part of Wis are you from? I have 20 days designated for the hunt (including travel)

Felix40

WKR
Hunted next door in 2015 and that is some awesome rough country. Heard plenty of bugles the 19th-25th.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That part of the state is having a crazy snow year some thing to keep an eye for sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
bowhunt

bowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Mazomanie 20 miles west of Madison, I'm also planning 3 weeks for this trip

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Mazomanie 20 miles west of Madison, I'm also planning 3 weeks for this trip

Good deal, one of my sons lives in Madison sounds like your just a couple hours away.

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat

Beendare

WKR
That part of the state is having a crazy snow year some thing to keep an eye for sure

Yeah, it gets hammered. The elk in that area migrate out of there so it really isn't an issue with the herds. Remember, that is right on the continental divide at part of its highest point. A lot of that unit is over 10,000'....and there is a plenty of it at 12k+. So the snow causing a yearly migration does have an effect on the makeup of the herd...but there is always a bunch of elk in there.

It IS an issue with trophy quality, as those elk travel a long ways in some cases and are exposed to rifle hunters, etc. Thats the reason that unit doesn't get those really big bulls, they get whacked.

Last edited:
Yeah, it gets hammered. The lk in that area migrate out of there so it really isn't an issue with the herds. Remember, that is right on the continental divide at part of its highest point. A lot of that unit is over 10,000'....and there is a plenty of it at 12k+

It IS an issue with trophy quality, as those elk travel a long ways in some cases and are exposed to rifle hunters, etc. Thats the reason that unit doesn't get those really big bulls, they get whacked.
Keep in mind that the rifle seasons were warm and dry this year. Not enough snow to force the migration into the adjacent OTC units. I hunted 76 last September. Awesome hunt. You wont likely be disappointed. I sure wasn't.

Hey TraderMike, would you be willing to chat about unit 76? I don't have enough time on Rokslide to be able to PM, so if you're willing to share some info will you PM me, or send me an email? [email protected] Thank you!