Colorado Unit 77

G Posik

WKR
Looking changing units this year in Colorado and was looking at unit 77. Has anyone here hunted that unit before? I was looking on CDOW site and they do not show a lot of summer concentration in the unit. There is some good looking areas in the unit that I think would hold elk. I am not dead set on this unit but doing some investigation. Will be packing in and getting away from the masses (I hope). Can get into 751 to the west and another unit to the east, just have to stay out of 76 to the north as it is a draw unit. Thanks in advance.

Glenn

djs

FNG
hunted moose there 3 years back .saw lots of elk, very large area ,long ways in from the south ,horses are almost a must.start around granite lake.

Tookeymonster

Lil-Rokslider
This unit seems to get more elk mid september from presured units around it. I was hunting a unit next to it 78 and at the end of my hunt I found all the elk were just off in 77.

Jta6498

FNG
I hunted unit 77 two years ago and spent a good amount time in the area. Lots of areas to hunt. The wilderness area does thin out the masses but there is significant outfitter presence. I had a lot of luck calling the US forestery office out of Pagosa and they can give you all of the outfitters permitted in the area you are looking at packing into to make sure you arent on top of each other. There are some great hunting opportunities that aren’t in wilderness areas and are walk in only that don't require being horse-backed in.

I was able to draw an archery bull tag for 77/78 this year on a 2nd choice and i will be in unit 78 for 3rd week. Feel free to PM me for more info. Good luck

jdmaxwell

WKR
I hunted unit 77 two years ago and spent a good amount time in the area. Lots of areas to hunt. The wilderness area does thin out the masses but there is significant outfitter presence. I had a lot of luck calling the US forestery office out of Pagosa and they can give you all of the outfitters permitted in the area you are looking at packing into to make sure you arent on top of each other. There are some great hunting opportunities that aren’t in wilderness areas and are walk in only that don't require being horse-backed in.

I was able to draw an archery bull tag for 77/78 this year on a 2nd choice and i will be in unit 78 for 3rd week. Feel free to PM me for more info. Good luck

U realize that 2012 thread...

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Sshhhhh or this unit will see significant point creep for archery. Cant believe I got to hunt this spot otc for so many years.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I will be out the 1st week of the season sitting one of my many wallows I have found. 4 bulls in 4 years so far looking to make it 5 for 5.