Colorado Unit 77

gabenzeke

WKR
Does anyone have experience with this unit? Looking to PM somebody to get a feel for the pressure in a specific area.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
I hope to draw a MD tag this year in that unit with the point I got. If not I've got OTC elk in my back pocket so I'm following along this thread.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt 751 and 75- very close to that unit. not sure about bow seasons- but the first rifle always has pressure-but.... its easy to get away from the hunters if you walk in over a mile in rough terrain- which is all over in the area I go to. Hunted 4 times- all 1st season- killed 2 bulls 1 son got a cow, the other a 5-4 both of my bulls were mature- 6-6 and a 6-5 its an EE tag-- we hiked in 2.5-4 miles each day- don't expect success like that if you don't put a bunch of work in the dark on the way in and out. we left camp at 4am and got back at 9 pm. its really hard work to do it that way. you might look at a drop camp- that's what I did when I hunted with out my pack horses-my sons!

njdoxie

WKR
we hiked in 2.5-4 miles each day - don't expect success like that if you don't put a bunch of work in the dark on the way in and out. we left camp at 4am and got back at 9 pm. its really hard work to do it that way

The odds are certainly upped hunting the way you do, boy that makes for a looonnnnng day, real successful elk hunters seldom see camp in the day. I try to hunt like that, but I admit I see camp too often in the broad daylight lately, but I do have a red hot spot that has allowed me to hunt easier.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I'll be backpacking. Hunted 751 previously, so the rough terrain is definitely familiar, but I'm not going in totally blind. Just was hoping for some Intel in a specific area. Thanks for the replies so far.

Pow

FNG
I haven't hunted 77, but it is more accessible than 751, so I'd expect more people because of that. You can get way back in 751. Also, Pagosa is kind of a hunter town.

dman35

FNG
Archery or Rifle? I've hunted this unit a few times over the last several years.

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
Archery. It will be the last week and a half of season.

gumbl3

WKR
According to the backdoor method, I'm in for MD. Tough decision if I should OTC elk too. I'll most likely be solo and already have the time off early September, I can't get any of the slugs around these parts to leave their deer feeders for some western hunting and I'll be trying to figure it out as I go, not time for pre scouting.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been a few years since this post, just curious if the years have any added knowledge or advice for 77 and surrounding units, looks primarily at rifle seasons, seems like the unit is more heavily forested and not a lot of long off glassing spots? Maybe someone can confirm or contradict?

Poser

WKR
It’s been a few years since this post, just curious if the years have any added knowledge or advice for 77 and surrounding units, looks primarily at rifle seasons, seems like the unit is more heavily forested and not a lot of long off glassing spots? Maybe someone can confirm or contradict?

I can confirm 77 doesn’t have a lot of glassing opportunity. A lot of timber

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider
I can confirm 77 doesn’t have a lot of glassing opportunity. A lot of timber
Thank you for your response, so I guess my question is outside of the rut, say 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons where calling is no longer a very successful strategy... what is the main path to success in a place that is fully timbered, and you can't spot them as distance?

coloelk52

FNG
Numbers are definitely down in the areas around 751. Some outfitters are calling it the worst year ever.

jwelders

FNG
I've hunted 77 and 78 multiple times. You need signifigant snow in the high country or you need horses to get to them. I hunt upill 2.5 to three miles in(I'm 55 and hunt solo and thats as far as I can pack one out) and between 2021 3rd season and 2022 1st rifle I saw one fresh pile of droppings, no beds , no rubs, and hardly any recognizable tracks. IN other parts of the state opening day usually sounds like a shooting range. My last 2 seasons in 78 I can count rifle shots on 1 hand. There is just to much wilderness the elk can retreat to, but if it snows in can be great.