Colorado unit 79 & 68 archery

Hunttex

FNG
No luck drawing tags this year. Going OTC in Colorado like many of you. I have 4 units narrowed down. But would like some info on units 79&68 if anybody has any. Not looking for spots but more of if any of you have had good hunts there. How’s the terrain, hunting pressure, what elevation you may of got into elk... anything would be appreciated. I have several spots to try from scouting onx.

Vandy321

WKR
1st post...and it's the good old, 'Not looking for spots' post. Come on now.

"Good hunts?" Data on success rates publicly available

"Terrain" publicly available on google earth and/or a topo

"Hunting pressure" OTC units are going to be crowded

"Elevation of elk" go find them this summer, with your feet, then hunt there, or a little lower in Sept.

If your intent if to have someone post a few pics of big bulls, or say they knocked down a 6x7 in unit xx...you're well on your way to blowing out that particular unit with an influx of hunters who read the same post you did.

Just do your homework, put in some leg work, and have yourself a hunt. And, if you tag out and want to have continued success there, maybe dont post about it online.

OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
1st post...and it's the good old, 'Not looking for spots' post. Come on now.

"Good hunts?" Data on success rates publicly available

"Terrain" publicly available on google earth and/or a topo

"Hunting pressure" OTC units are going to be crowded

"Elevation of elk" go find them this summer, with your feet, then hunt there, or a little lower in Sept.

If your intent if to have someone post a few pics of big bulls, or say they knocked down a 6x7 in unit xx...you're well on your way to blowing out that particular unit with an influx of hunters who read the same post you did.

Just do your homework, put in some leg work, and have yourself a hunt. And, if you tag out and want to have continued success there, maybe dont post about it online.

oh boy! Thanks. You’re one of those guys. So, I would like any opinions on terrain because no matter how much I look at topos or google earth you never quite get the full picture on how rough it really is. So if anybody wants to give a terrain comparison to other units it would be appreciated. Also I was just curious if anybody has had much luck. Don’t care if they killed or not or if they shot a rag horn or cow. Success rates are pointless to look at. I have all the info on how many hunters have been hunting it for the last few years also. I’ve been a obsessed die hard hunter for 25 years so I know how to do simple research but nothing compares to first hand experience. Having said that, I’ve never hunted Colorado so I would like someone with first hand experience to chime in on what elevations they have seen elk in late September. I don’t even care if it’s that specific unit. Just something to give me a starting point. But thanks again for your generic response to a simple question.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, after the pressure of color watchers , hikers, muzzleloading season etc.- by the third week of September I can’t find animals lower than tree line. Get your legs in shape and expect 3-4 days to acclimate to the elevation and get your mountain legs. Most tree line hunting is far from trailheads so have a packing possee or hire a packer which is is hard to come by in those units

OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
In my experience, after the pressure of color watchers , hikers, muzzleloading season etc.- by the third week of September I can’t find animals lower than tree line. Get your legs in shape and expect 3-4 days to acclimate to the elevation and get your mountain legs. Most tree line hunting is far from trailheads so have a packing possee or hire a packer which is is hard to come by in those units

thanks. And thanks for just a simple answer to my questions. Ask mostpeople basic info on a unit and it’s like you pissed in their Cheerios. But that’s basically what I was curious about. Whether or not elk would they’d be low or high.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
When it comes to time, boot leather, and money in regards to high country hunting, it gets most people tight lipped when they have found somthing worth while

Foldem

WKR
It's just tiresome man. Same thing every year, almost like a form letter. Fill in XXXX State, XXXX unit, XXX season. I'm a hard hunter, willing to hike, and a generally good fella (trust me).... now tell me where to go. Usually somebody that hasn't contributed anything to the forum in the past, just looking for a handout that's not your honeyhole. Also, usually a really easy draw tag, like 2nd choice. I've found great 2nd choice hunts, then others found them and now they're not second choice anymore.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
I found it hard on forums to get much good info especially on otc hunts. I have found that when I run into guys in the field, that they c your doin the same thing as you, and the commitment is thier thier pretty open with info. I have met some pretty good guys in the high country, including a rockslide prostaffer😀👍

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
When in doubt hunt high. Elk will almost always be up as high as weather permits, for a few reasons but the main one being less pressure. Not many people can hike and hunt tree line and steep rough country day after day without exhausting themselves.

Find a unit you think looks good and e-scout and have a few different spots within that unit that you want to hunt. If you can’t scout pre-season then stay mobile and be prepared to cover a lot of ground and do some glassing to find elk and when you find them, go hunt them. If glassing won’t work for where you’re hunting then use the forest roads and drive around early in the morning and late in the evening and listen for bugles.

Also if you can find their wintering grounds you can look at the surrounding areas and kind of determine where their at in September.

I agree with the above posts that the hunters that spend year after year and hundreds of miles hiking and scouting and hunting to be successful don’t want to hand out information that they’ve worked so hard to acquire.

OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
When in doubt hunt high. Elk will almost always be up as high as weather permits, for a few reasons but the main one being less pressure. Not many people can hike and hunt tree line and steep rough country day after day without exhausting themselves.

Find a unit you think looks good and e-scout and have a few different spots within that unit that you want to hunt. If you can’t scout pre-season then stay mobile and be prepared to cover a lot of ground and do some glassing to find elk and when you find them, go hunt them. If glassing won’t work for where you’re hunting then use the forest roads and drive around early in the morning and late in the evening and listen for bugles.

Also if you can find their wintering grounds you can look at the surrounding areas and kind of determine where their at in September.

I agree with the above posts that the hunters that spend year after year and hundreds of miles hiking and scouting and hunting to be successful don’t want to hand out information that they’ve worked so hard to acquire.

I agree with that. But I also don’t like when someone just assumes that I’m expecting them to send me a waypoint. That’s not what I’m looking for at all. But if someone was to ask me about units I’m familiar with id at least tell them how the terrain is in person, which was one of my main questions. I’m new to this forum but have helped a lot of people out in other forums. Thanks for answering with the “hunt high” comment. It’s tiny details like that that I’m actually looking for. I could care less where somebody else has killed a bull. I’ve been hunting a long time but was curious as to what average elevation people were having luck in any unit. Whether I get an answer or not I’ll be there and will find some. Sorry if I ruffled anyone’s feathers.

Vandy321

WKR
Not saying asking questions is wrong...but so much of this is subjective...and posting unit #'s on forums and asking for unit specific gouge, publicly at least, is typically frowned upon.

If you were serious about hunting it, or scouting it, you should have plans in place to come out this summer. Put in the leg work, like everyone else has...and in the process, you'd answer alot of your own questions and be better poised come Sept, with firsthand knowledge of the unit you choose to hunt.

If you have to ask if the terrain is too rough...it probably is.

If you have no plans to come out early, and you just show up day 1, throw camp on your back and head up to 13k...you're not going to have a great time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
Not saying asking questions is wrong...but so much of this is subjective...and posting unit #'s on forums and asking for unit specific gouge, publicly at least, is typically frowned upon.

If you were serious about hunting it, or scouting it, you should have plans in place to come out this summer. Put in the leg work, like everyone else has...and in the process, you'd answer alot of your own questions and be better poised come Sept, with firsthand knowledge of the unit you choose to hunt.

If you have to ask if the terrain is too rough...it probably is.

If you have no plans to come out early, and you just show up day 1, throw camp on your back and head up to 13k...you're not going to have a great time.

Good luck!

lmao. Never once asked if the terrain is too tough. And getting out to scout firsthand with 2 young children in the house isn’t possible for me. Thanks for you’re words of wisdom and encouragement. It’s nice to know that there’s such nice people in this forum I joined. You’re kind words have given me hope that everyone I meet is as nice as you. Good luck this year in whatever you do.

OP
H

Hunttex

FNG
If he has two young kids- Throwing a pack on your back and climbing to 13k once a year is a good time no matter what. Been thier done that😀

oh yeah. Did it last year and had a blast. Ended up killing a decent 5x5 on day 5. I probably could’ve worded this post much differently. And got some polite answers to my generic questions. Lol. I could’ve got the info I needed without even mentioning a unit #. Oh well, I’ve never been good at asking the right questions.

njdoxie

WKR
It's just tiresome man. Same thing every year, almost like a form letter. Fill in XXXX State, XXXX unit, XXX season. I'm a hard hunter, willing to hike, and a generally good fella (trust me).... now tell me where to go. Usually somebody that hasn't contributed anything to the forum in the past, just looking for a handout that's not your honeyhole. Also, usually a really easy draw tag, like 2nd choice. I've found great 2nd choice hunts, then others found them and now they're not second choice anymore.
Agreed, I'm sorry, but for long time members, these same questions over and over and over become increasingly annoying (if you stick around, you'll be there one day), but the flip side to that is we were all forum newbies at some point. Oh yeah and never mention a specific unit (but it happens every. single. day). I just wish newbies would do a thorough forum search BEFORE asking any questions, as any. conceivable. question. has been answered numerous times over the years. There's no new questions, so find the thread where it's already been answered for the tenth time. There's just so many new folks who don't feel like lifting a finger to research the elk forum, they're lazy and want to be spoon fed like a baby sucking on a teat. Can we get the mods to send out an email to new members requiring them to read their forum of interest? Mods? Are you out there?

burlap

FNG
Make sure you take advice with a hefty grain of salt, if you're getting it off the side of a mountain from another hunter (competitor). I met more liars on the mountain than I care to mention, and they were all Michigan Wolverine fans. Coincidence? Nah.

Vandy321

WKR
Kids or not, we all have responsibilities at home that can make it tough to get out and scout...I just figured for a "obsessed die hard hunter for 25 years" you'd be doing a little more to prep than asking for freebies online, with no intention of putting boots on the ground prior to the season.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kids or not, we all have responsibilities at home that can make it tough to get out and scout...I just figured for a "obsessed die hard hunter for 25 years" you'd be doing a little more to prep than asking for freebies online, with no intention of putting boots on the ground prior to the season.
You need to stop now

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk