Colorado Unit 81 now a draw instead of OTC for Archery

Gerbdog

WKR
Strange that the elk heard is hurting in numbers but they have allowed unlimited access for years. I believe the units are still OTC for rifle.
Yea that one i cant quite figure out. I havent hunted those units for rifle... so i have no idea what the pressure looks like and where the elk end up in the later season in that area, i've heard a lot of them move onto private land there (no surprise there) but i imagine a lot of that depends when / if the snow comes in and drive them down from the elevations.

lak2004

WKR
Plan on most of CO going the route of the other western states. Less opportunity for non residents, less tags allowed for non residents and more opportunity for residents.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
Oh i think for me its more a thought process of "if your gonna do it, really do it" kind of thing, if it was me and i was limiting Archery hunting in an area, i'd just go ahead and limit all hunting in the area until the herd recovers. The idea is to help the herd recover so.... go all in on it.

At the end of the day.... i dont make those decisions... all i have is an opinion like everyone else that is wrong more often then right. I imagine cutting first rifle would have the same effect as cutting back archery... the rut is often still in full swing during first rifle here in CO if the theory is that archery hunting is harder on the herd then rifle......

Phaseolus

WKR
I’d like to see Colorado go to draw only for all seasons in all units for elk. If CPW ever decides to really manage elk…

tdhanses

WKR
I’d like to see Colorado go to draw only for all seasons in all units for elk. If CPW ever decides to really manage elk…
That’s managing trophy quality not elk. Not saying i’m against all draw but call it what it is, it isn’t managing for herd health, to do that all they need to do is vastly limit cow elk tags and vastly increase predator tags.

No matter how many bull tags they sell with the 4pt or 5” brow restriction, bulls will continue to survive and cows will continue to get pregnant, bulls on the other hand will not reach 5-6 years of age.

Maybe if they went to a 5pt restriction this would weed out more people as it would be more difficult for most to find a legal bull.

Last edited:

kenny8906

FNG
With the DOW it isn't just a matter of managing the herd, but more importantly to manage the revenue they've come to expect. It's difficult to limit tags vs. bringing in big revenue that they've come dependent upon.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I've grew up hunting OTC 80/81. I actually bought property up in Platoro because I want to build a cabin up there one day. My family has been enjoying that area since the 60s. I started elk hunting up there around 2008. To say the pressure has got worst is an overstatement. Each year has gotten worst. I believe this is a good thing. Close friend packed back in to Tobacco lake area and still ran into hunters every day.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
So both units are separate now right? Meaning if you draw for unit 81, it will only be good for that unit and not both 80 and 81.
When I applied they are both together still. The hunt code is only 080 for archery anyhow. So 80/81 is still 1 far what I can tell.

Anyone who's ever hunted 82 knows exactly what you're talking about. You better not leave your man card at home in the Sangres.......

I didnt really understand this comment until I looked at some Topo maps. Holy crap that country is unreal.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
IS what it is. I'll adapt and overcome. I have several hunting spots in those units, and they were a favorite that i could hunt every year if i wanted. Now? Well... i dunno. I won't be burning my points on it. We will see, still working out my game plan for 2022. Wanna get down there and hunt a big bear boar i know of in the area.... would be nice to take an elk tag too... cause soon as you dont you know that 330+ bull is walking by at 20 yards.

I agree with CPW, it does get hit with a ton of hunters down there, pretty crowded, but im not convinced it wasnt a symptom of them closing off the other units from OTC to a draw to the west of the units (around the durango area).. i am starting to suspect all the OTC units will fall like dominoes as hunters keep piling into the remaining OTC units.

There ya go, gave my opinion as an archery hunter who has hunted 80/81

"I won't be burning my points on it."

I hear this often during discussions in CO. Let's face it. I can hunt elk every year in CO even as a smelly non-resident and not burn my points. My non-point-burning hunt can be as simple as OTC archery or perhaps one of the Blue Chip hunts that require a couple of decades of points if was drawn.

Yet, my point total lives to grow another year eventually reaching mythical the range that is Tolkienesque "theeeeee riiiiiing" or, for the younger folks, Bitcoin rivaling "to the moon" status.

I have to ask, are those points really all that plus a bag of chips at Subway or for many of us remain a mythical, sunk cost fallacy trophy that may one day evaporate to dust like an Avenger mid-battle when we unexpectedly and tragically see our hunting days end and the precious points float out of the bay door on a surfboard?

Gerbdog

WKR
"I won't be burning my points on it."

I hear this often during discussions in CO. Let's face it. I can hunt elk every year in CO even as a smelly non-resident and not burn my points. My non-point-burning hunt can be as simple as OTC archery or perhaps one of the Blue Chip hunts that require a couple of decades of points if was drawn.

Yet, my point total lives to grow another year eventually reaching mythical the range that is Tolkienesque "theeeeee riiiiiing" or, for the younger folks, Bitcoin rivaling "to the moon" status.

I have to ask, are those points really all that plus a bag of chips at Subway or for many of us remain a mythical, sunk cost fallacy trophy that may one day evaporate to dust like an Avenger mid-battle when we unexpectedly and tragically see our hunting days end and the precious points float out of the bay door on a surfboard?
Haha, that was some good analogy there..... i appreciated it.

I'm approaching no mans land with my points. I'm focused on finding elk for this year yet, but when archery season ends i'm gonna sit down and start doing some hard thinking about spending my points next year. I agree with you that its very likely not worth saving for decades on end. Between point creep and the fact i'm only getting older.... well its time to spend those points on a ... what i suspect is a marginally better hunt? Who knows.

What my point strategy game will be after next year? hard to say. I'll see how the units are that i can get into next year and make a determination after that if it was "wow so much better then OTC" or just... somewhat better but not worth all the years spent getting there.

100% odds with zero points on first choice
It may limit it some but not a ton. Maybe folks won’t want to burn their points and will skip it. Who knows.

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
100% odds with zero points on first choice
It may limit it some but not a ton. Maybe folks won’t want to burn their points and will skip it. Who knows.
Last season was the 1st year this unit was a draw. 2nd choice if I can remember, was around 67% chance. Keep that in mind.

Last season was the 1st year this unit was a draw. 2nd choice if I can remember, was around 67% chance. Keep that in mind.
Sounds like your strategy may be similar to mine Dan. Trying to guarantee an elk tag without spending my points. Been hunting 2nd rifle in 80 the last several years and still found places to get away from the crowds and get into some elk so the crowds don’t scare us too awfully bad

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your strategy may be similar to mine Dan. Trying to guarantee an elk tag without spending my points. Been hunting 2nd rifle in 80 the last several years and still found places to get away from the crowds and get into some elk so the crowds don’t scare us too awfully bad
Last year was actually decent in terms of pressure and crowd. I didn't see the 50 vehicles at Three fork trail head like I had in the past.

I figured 2nd rifle (isn't that OTC?) might have more pressure than past due to OTC archery going away.

Yeah it’s OTC. Pressure is pretty bad anywhere within a mile of rods or atv trails unless you can find out some steep terrain between you and the roads. As I would assume is usually the case though, if you’re willing to work a little you can find some good pockets

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful country. I bought some ground up in Platoro three years ago now I guess it would be. Plan to build a cabin. I don't think I will hunt a different unit any time soon. I am one of those glad to see it go to draw.

Beautiful country. I bought some ground up in Platoro three years ago now I guess it would be. Plan to build a cabin. I don't think I will hunt a different unit any time soon. I am one of those glad to see it go to draw.
Agreed on all of the above. Our buddies have a place in South Fork so we have somewhere to go for a hot shower and meal now and then and if they’re in town they usually have their mules which makes for good help on pack outs