Colorado Unit 81

OkieElk

FNG
Hey Roksliders,

I’m going to be hunting 81, Sept 11-18 around the wilderness areas. I do majority solo hunting, but I also like chatting with new folks at base camp in the evenings.

If anyone is going to be around those dates and want to network about the area, please shoot me a PM and maybe we can connect while am out there.

Good luck this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
Having hunted unit 81.... there will be plenty of people to talk to! It's one of the first wilderness areas you hit coming into the state from the SE corner and.... yup, plenty of hunting pressure so... plenty of people to talk to

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
@Sapcut - I sent you a PM

@Gerbdog - I agree with you wilderness units are a zoo, low on elk, and impossible to hunt. I just like donating my money to CPW for fun.

Gerbdog

WKR
@Sapcut - I sent you a PM

@Gerbdog - I agree with you wilderness units are a zoo, low on elk, and impossible to hunt. I just like donating my money to CPW for fun.

Haha, well i have a couple other spots in mind in CO since i have the benefit of living here, but never know, i may end up wandering around the mountains in 81. Best of luck to you guys, seasons almost here, already starting to lose sleep dreaming of hunting!

Lots of hunters, not many Elk. I hunt a private Ranch that is in 78/81. I get to it by heading Hwy 17 out of Chama for about 6 miles, then turn on 121 at the del Oso Pardo gate entrance. Drive back and after you cross the NM/Colo line, drive another 5 miles or so. The Ranch is on the left (West) of the road, and butts up next to the Public Campground. I usually hunt the second rifle Bull season, and I have seen many many hunters on the hillsides and mountainsides (Orange dots everywhere).
Opening morning I might hear one or two shots at first shooting light coming from the public land, but not much the rest of the day. Not much shooting going on the next couple of days either.
I managed 3 smallish Bulls (5x5, 5x4, and a 4x4) the 4 years I hunted there, one year tag soup.
Not trying to discourage you by any means, just have realistic expectations of hunting an OTC area with unlimited tags, and unlimited hunters.
If you need any further info, you can PM me. Good Luck !!

Last edited:
Lots of hunters, not many Elk. I hunt a private Ranch that is in 78/81. I get to it by heading Hwy 17 out of Chama for about 6 miles, then turn on 121 at the del Oso Pardo gate entrance. Drive back and after you cross the NM/Colo line, drive another 5 miles or so. The Ranch is on the left (West) of the road, and butts up next to the Public Campground. I usually hunt the second rifle Bull season, and I have seen many many hunters on the hillsides and mountainsides (Orange dots everywhere).
Opening morning I might hear one or two shots at first shooting light coming from the public land, but not much the rest of the day. Not much shooting going on the next couple of days either.
I managed 3 smallish Bulls (5x5, 5x4, and a 4x4) the 4 years I hunted there, one year tag soup.
Not trying to discourage you by any means, just have realistic expectations of hunting an OTC area with unlimited tags, and unlimited hunters.
If you need any further info, you can PM me. Good Luck !!
SoTX hunter wanted to see if you had any luck we are planning trip up their for 2nd rifle and hoping to camp in the area of the working pens

SoTX hunter wanted to see if you had any luck we are planning trip up their for 2nd rifle and hoping to camp in the area of the working pens

I am hunting 2nd rifle also. I start Oct 30 and hunt until Nov 3.

First Rifle Oct 16-20
Second Rifle Oct 30-Nov 7
Third Rifle Nov 13-19
Fourth Rifle Nov 24-28

Edited to add: I will post my results when I return home after the hunt.

Last edited: