Colorado unit 85 deer help!!

Wife put in for unit 85 third rifle and drew her tag even though we were hoping she wouldn’t have. I lost the private access we had after she put in which was why she pulled a tag in the first place and now left with no where to hunt except public. Not familiar with the public there during third rifle. I’ve been in it during archery and have seen some mule deer in the high country above 11,000 during September.

Can anyone provide some help on this unit with either private or knowledge of public as to what the deer do that time of year. We can hunt public but most of it is the San Isabel national Forrest and is pretty high. My thought is the deer would be below 10,500 by third rifle. New to deer hunting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated for her benefit.

Thanks in advance.

We may forfeit the tag if it looks like a bust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a couple of small tracts of state land lower that have some good mule deer on them. They border some good private ground and you have a decent chance of getting a decent mule deer out of it. The state land is fairly small and could be crowded but I think during the week you might be able to get a chance.
If you still have the tag msg me and I can give you some ideas

For deer the south half of the unit is better than north half. In later seasons, deer tend to concentrate in Apishapa drainage, Jarosa, Burro, Chicosa, and Road Canyon. Canyon del Agua is also a good area. Google Earth scouting will help and then just work the wind. Hopefully it and the bucks will cooperate.

OP
ddavis_1313
Thanks for the updates. Wife turned her tag back in. Sucks, but is what it is. Instead I’m taking her to Ohio on a bow hunt for whitetail. Supposed to be a really good place. 4000 acres and last year they had 100% opportunity rate and 88% success on deer over 4.5 and 140. So we shall see. They also took several over 150 and one over 180.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TradFreak

FNG
I was hunting elk in 85 in September last season. This lady shot this beautiful muley in Muzzleloader 200 yards off of Cordova Pass. I saw another big muley later in the hunt. All on public.
ee8258bdeca2de9f1d439a95c488b3d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I was hunting elk in 85 in September last season. This lady shot this beautiful muley in Muzzleloader 200 yards off of Cordova Pass. I saw another big muley later in the hunt. All on public.

The original poster turned their tag in, he says so in the post above yours, why would you post a picture of someone else's buck and the location it was taken? For the entire internet to see......

TradFreak

FNG
The original poster turned their tag in, he says so in the post above yours, why would you post a picture of someone else's buck and the location it was taken? For the entire internet to see......
I honestly hope it screws up the stupid guide who messed up my hunt last season and tried to run me off public. He came in while I was calling started talking loud and cussing and telling me I'm on private. Clearly I was on public but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I went to the forestry office and they said I was on public and they had this issue before.

sndmn11

WKR
I honestly hope it screws up the stupid guide who messed up my hunt last season and tried to run me off public. He came in while I was calling started talking loud and cussing and telling me I'm on private. Clearly I was on public but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I went to the forestry office and they said I was on public and they had this issue before.

Fair enough, this is the first time on Rokslide I am writing "lol". What outfitter was it?

TradFreak

FNG
Dont know who he was with the forestry knew the name and said they had problems with them in the same place before