Colorado Unit back up plan-Archery

mww982

WKR
I know a few give a people a hard time on these posts but just looking for opinions on a couple OTC units if we don't get drawn for the area we put in for. If you were to go OTC which unit would you prefer? 14, 15, 16, 17 or 34, these are the units I have been researching and narrowing it down to thus far. I understand that they may be crowded and there's probably going to be a lot of downfall from the beetles. Not looking for specific spots but general preferences.

Let the roasting begin!!

3forks

WKR
I don’t know why anyone has a hard time with these kind of posts…

We’re all supposed to be on this site to collaborate and help each other be successful.

The best way to decide which unit to hunt is to do the math on the units themselves.

Add the square mileage of all the units you’re considering and then use the DAU (Data Analysis Unit) to get the number of elk in each unit. Take that number and divide it by the combined weights of all the hunters in your party. When you have that number, subtract it from your previous total, and you will arrive at the best possible unit to hunt.

JBenz63

FNG
Are you one of those guys that plans how to pack out a bull 10 miles in September before owning a bow? Set 1: wait for Colorado draw results

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Are you one of those guys that plans how to pack out a bull 10 miles in September before owning a bow? Set 1: wait for Colorado draw results
No sir, my hunting partner knows where he wants to go in the unit we put in for. I was tasked with looking at alternate units in case we don't draw. I've owned more than one bow in my life-time, have realistic expectations that I probably won't kill anything on my first trip and make plenty mistakes. Really going up to learn and for the experience.

fmyth

WKR
No sir, my hunting partner knows where he wants to go in the unit we put in for. I was tasked with looking at alternate units in case we don't draw. I've owned more than one bow in my life-time, have realistic expectations that I probably won't kill anything on my first trip and make plenty mistakes. Really going up to learn and for the experience.
I'd start by looking up the following for each unit you listed on CPW's website and Gohunt :

% of public land

road access

bull to cow ratio

harvest data (not very accurate)

number of deer hunters that will be in the unit during your elk hunt (# of tags issued if any for the same
dates you'll be elk hunting)

if archery look up how many muzzle loader hunters will be in your area during your hunt

look at the hunt atlas on CPW's site and see if the unit is in the elk migration corridor or winter grounds (I wouldn't buy an otc archery tag if the area is considered elk wintering grounds)

type of terrain (does it match my style of hunting, abilities, equipment, fitness, mode of transportation etc)

water availability

distance from major cities/airport

Lodging if you don't plan to camp

distance from my house (not normally a factor for me but with $5+ a gal gas)

popularity (google the area and see how many threads like this pop up)

Maybe some of our other members will add to this list.

JBenz63

FNG
Hopefully you guys draw so you don’t have to have a backup. Additionally no matter what you guys do there is always a chance. Don’t forget about Wyoming left over if that’s even a consideration

I've hunted all but 34 and have been successful in finding the elk. Be prepared to put in the vertical miles, the sanctuaries are deep and the terrain is steep. Never a problem finding water and if you make a good plan you can get away from the people. Beautiful areas but there will be plenty of competition until you put in the work. Good luck.