Colorado units 7/8 for elk and deer

I drew units 7/8 for 3rd rifle elk, as well as 7/8 4th rifle deer. I've generally stuck to early season hunts (archery) because I'm a wimp and scared of the snow, but decided to start applying for/hunting more late season tags. Suffice it to say, as a early season flat lander from TX, I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

I was able to take a weekend and get up there to scout back in July and was fortunate to put my eyes on several deer/elk. It was brief, but it was good to get a general lay of the land/landscape, and to find a couple decent access points; however, I think I left with more questions than answers on the best way to tackle the two tags.

As beneficial as it was to get an idea of what the area looked like in July, the landscape will undoubtedly look different come mid-November. I'm curious to find out/get in contact with someone familiar with the area during the last couple weeks of November. Some of the questions I've pondered on are...

As they relate to access by vehicle/foot:
*What should one realistically expect as far as weather goes?
*If there's a lot of snow (seems more likely than not..?), are the roads generally kept clear (specifically concerned with county roads)? I have a 4runner and will be equipped with chains; however, even that will have it's limitations I imagine.
*Snowshoes... should I plan to get a set??

As they relate to elk:
*What are they eating during this time of year? Pressure aside, are there certain elevation bands they tend to stick to? Or is it just dependent on the weather?
*Is pressure a big enough deal in these units to corral them into private property?
*How much weight do y'all put into map overlays with migration in mind?
*If they've dropped into and are hanging out on private land, are there any options available for trespass fees? I haven't found a good site that allows you to filter by GMU's (unless I'm just too dim to figure it out), and I can't imagine ranchers/land owners enjoy getting bombarded by hunters asking to hunt their land.

As they relate to deer:
*This will be my first time hunting deer in Colorado, and well beyond any season I've pursued them elsewhere. From what I'm understanding, this hunt will take place during the rut.... During this time, can I generally count on the deer being in the same area they were in back in July?
*What are the deer generally feeding on during this time of year?
*How much snow is too much snow? What's the breaking point in which they tend to move down?

**I've watched the videos provided by CPW, but I can't help but think every other person holding these tags has as well.. so how crowded should I expect it to be? Should I avoid the areas they've described in them or is there enough real estate for us to avoid walking over one another?

I know y'all are busy with your own hunts.. but if you have some insight and don't mind sharing a little knowledge, I'd be beyond grateful to talk with you over PM.

Thanks!!

SonnyDay

WKR
I haven't hunted those units, but have hunted elk in similar terrain west of there.

If you pack some warm clothes and keep a positive attitude... you haven't bitten off more than you can chew! It's beautiful country and we're all lucky to have access to it. No matter how the weather turns out or how far in you can get by SUV or on foot... have fun!

A few things (worth what you paid for it):

There's an active and pretty decent thread on snow depth and elk movement that may provide some useful info:

A 4runner with chains is pretty good in terms of vehicle capabilities. Pay close attention to the weather. Northern Colorado storms can come up quick and drop lots of snow. So an area you easily got into may prove impossible to get out of (until Spring!).

Pretty much any paved road will be passable in all but the most extreme conditions. They get plowed regularly and usually get some sun soon after a storm. Unpaved County roads will also very likely be easy to drive as long as there isn't an active winter storm or it's been a day or so since the last storm. The roads with grass/sagebrush on either side are generally good.

Forest service roads are where it starts to get dicey (especially the ones with pine trees/forest on either side). A FS road traversing up a south-facing slope will probably be fine... but once it pops over the ridge and descends into the pines it could be icy, full of deep snow, or just plain impassable.

Pay plenty of attention to weather leading up to your hunt. Recent snow amounts, storm frequency, and sunshine in between will all have large effects on your ability to travel roads or hike.

Snow depth/characteristics will depend a ton on aspect (exposure of the land you are traveling/hunting on to the winter sun and winds) and topology (how hills, valleys, draws, ridges, meadows, etc. contribute to the aspect factors). Southern and western slopes/areas tend to melt and dry/blow off quickly during late fall in northern Colorado. This is because they are facing the low winter sun and the predominantly southern/western winds. Northern and eastern slopes/areas tend to hold snow. This is because they don't get intense sun... and all that snow blowing off the western/southern slopes gets deposited on them. Shaded areas keep snow. Open areas melt. These factors affect huge open slopes and basins... but also little pockets of terrain that the road you are following may pass through.

Snowshoes aren't a terrible idea if there have been recent storms. Based on the weather predictions, this could be true for 3rd rifle. And as previously noted, sleds can be amazing for meat hauling.

I can't speak to private land hunting... but those units have tons of public land that will hold elk this time of year. Just gotta get away from roads/trails.

Elk need to eat a ton to stay alive, and will strike a balance between dodging bullets and getting calories. Look for fresh sign. And if you don't see some... move to another area/elevation. Snow makes this much easier. Especially fresh snow.

Have fun!

Reactions: WAB
OP
atx_bowhunter
I haven't hunted those units, but have hunted elk in similar terrain west of there.

If you pack some warm clothes and keep a positive attitude... you haven't bitten off more than you can chew! It's beautiful country and we're all lucky to have access to it. No matter how the weather turns out or how far in you can get by SUV or on foot... have fun!

A few things (worth what you paid for it):

There's an active and pretty decent thread on snow depth and elk movement that may provide some useful info:

A 4runner with chains is pretty good in terms of vehicle capabilities. Pay close attention to the weather. Northern Colorado storms can come up quick and drop lots of snow. So an area you easily got into may prove impossible to get out of (until Spring!).

Pretty much any paved road will be passable in all but the most extreme conditions. They get plowed regularly and usually get some sun soon after a storm. Unpaved County roads will also very likely be easy to drive as long as there isn't an active winter storm or it's been a day or so since the last storm. The roads with grass/sagebrush on either side are generally good.

Forest service roads are where it starts to get dicey (especially the ones with pine trees/forest on either side). A FS road traversing up a south-facing slope will probably be fine... but once it pops over the ridge and descends into the pines it could be icy, full of deep snow, or just plain impassable.

Pay plenty of attention to weather leading up to your hunt. Recent snow amounts, storm frequency, and sunshine in between will all have large effects on your ability to travel roads or hike.

Snow depth/characteristics will depend a ton on aspect (exposure of the land you are traveling/hunting on to the winter sun and winds) and topology (how hills, valleys, draws, ridges, meadows, etc. contribute to the aspect factors). Southern and western slopes/areas tend to melt and dry/blow off quickly during late fall in northern Colorado. This is because they are facing the low winter sun and the predominantly southern/western winds. Northern and eastern slopes/areas tend to hold snow. This is because they don't get intense sun... and all that snow blowing off the western/southern slopes gets deposited on them. Shaded areas keep snow. Open areas melt. These factors affect huge open slopes and basins... but also little pockets of terrain that the road you are following may pass through.

Snowshoes aren't a terrible idea if there have been recent storms. Based on the weather predictions, this could be true for 3rd rifle. And as previously noted, sleds can be amazing for meat hauling.

I can't speak to private land hunting... but those units have tons of public land that will hold elk this time of year. Just gotta get away from roads/trails.

Elk need to eat a ton to stay alive, and will strike a balance between dodging bullets and getting calories. Look for fresh sign. And if you don't see some... move to another area/elevation. Snow makes this much easier. Especially fresh snow.

Have fun!

Thanks for taking the time to share some helpful insight and advice! I'm giving the other thread a read now, and there's a lot of great information in there as well. Looking forward to the trip, and hoping I have some success to share here over the next few weeks!