Colorado Units 77 and 78

We will be in 77 or 78 for CO 1st rifle. It would be much appreciated if anyone that doesn't mind could give a general report after their archery or muzzleloader hunt in those units.

How is the water situation?

I read an article where they are predicting more bear encounters this year due to a cold May killing food above 7,000'. How was forage in the area?

What elevation did you see them at (I know this will change between then and 1st rifle but trying to baseline)?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
in 40 years i can count the number of bears we seen on the fingers of one hand. never had a bear trouble even when we were near a known problem area,

OP
T
in 40 years i can count the number of bears we seen on the fingers of one hand. never had a bear trouble even when we were near a known problem area,
Thanks, I'm not exactly worried about any conflicts with them. That was just anecdotal about where the information about low food sources above 7,000' came from.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

banded_drake

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be up there the first part of archery. May not help you much but I'll let you know what we find

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about the food causing bear encounters. I can tell you I have seen more bears in those units the last few years than ever before. Since you are going there, consider picking up a bear tag. Those areas are over the counter.....

Especially if you are going to be in the timber at all......

cstab

FNG
I tried like crazy to get that tag. Second choice in primary, secondary draw, then leftover draw. Just wasn’t meant to be. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmc934

FNG
77+78= lots of bears and cats

Elk population has been in decline for years. Predator population is booming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
Roll call for who will be in 78 this next week (9/18-24). PM if you want to chat or stay connected on the mountain.

Looking like we're going to get a little wet!

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider

20 years here and only bear encounter I’ve had in Colorado is walking up on one buried head first into the stomach of an angus that died a few days earlier.

Last edited:

tlark19

FNG
I'll be there for 1st rifle myself. Hunted it last year during 3rd rifle, seen elk just never got a opportunity at a legal bull. Didn't see any bear but did see what seemed like several 1000 piles of bear crap.

Reactions: 9.1
OP
T
Heading out Tuesday, hope to be camped by Wednesday afternoon. Bumping one last time to see if there is anyone willing to give any last minute details on weather and/or elevation the herds seek to be at right now.

dtrkyman

WKR
Lot's of rain the past few days, was up there just hanging out with the wife for a few days, deer everywhere, does anyway. Heard no bugles and only saw one Elk, a young bull. Cool weather should help, was snow up high each morning as well as lots of fog.

BryanE7

FNG
Hi all, me and my buddy are coming up from AZ to 77/78 this year for the archery hunt. Currently driving for a scouting trip. How did the hunts go?

Beendare

WKR
Probably 30 years ago now, We had a mangy brown phase bear following us in the early morning about 2 hours before first light. PB&Js in your pack will do that- grin

He walked right up to us and it took a boot to the snout to get him to leave.

Hi all, me and my buddy are coming up from AZ to 77/78 this year for the archery hunt. Currently driving for a scouting trip. How did the hunts go?
how did the scouting go? I have a tag for same zone but couldn't get out there this summer. I know there are several fires in zone 77 and at least 1 that seems like they aren't going to do anything about do to remote location.

I’ll be out there tomorrow and plan to find out. Optimistically hoping the big Quartz Ridge fire pushes them my direction, but worried they pushed out of the area I want to hunt. Forestry office said it was contained to the North and could only move south.

I’ll be out there tomorrow and plan to find out. Optimistically hoping the big Quartz Ridge fire pushes them my direction, but worried they pushed out of the area I want to hunt. Forestry office said it was contained to the North and could only move south.
how did you hunt the other day go? any luck? how was smoke? From what I see online it looks like most of the fires are 75% or more contained.