Colorado/Utah Fly Fishing

axeforce6

WKR
I am looking for a place to fly fish this September 17-19. Looking for a day or half day. I'll be flying in to either Denver or Salt Lake City. I have been a few times but I don't consider myself that good at it still. Do you guys know any good guides to go with? I'll probably be taking my wife with me.

Macintosh

WKR
Denver—deckers area in the south platte and that area is very good, or up near lyons and estes park. Only guide I know in that area I have not fished with, but Mike Wallace is a heck of a good guy. I think he does more around vail pass and silverthorne but could probably steer you right. Think his website is finsandfacets.com
Slc you can fish the provo down below park city and the reservoir, its good fishing but dont know guides in that area.

OP
axeforce6

axeforce6

WKR
I don't mind to travel some for it. I'm sure we will stay somewhere close to where we decide to fish at anyways.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Salt Lake, I'd try to get up and book a float trip on the Green River below Flaming Gorge. Don't have any personal experience with outfits up there but I think most of them are pretty good.

Out of Denver, call up to Basin & Bend up in Blackhawk, I know Erik personally, one of the fishiest dudes I've ever shared the water with, and if he can't take you he can recommend someone that will be good.

OP
axeforce6

axeforce6

WKR
Salt Lake, I'd try to get up and book a float trip on the Green River below Flaming Gorge. Don't have any personal experience with outfits up there but I think most of them are pretty good.

Out of Denver, call up to Basin & Bend up in Blackhawk, I know Erik personally, one of the fishiest dudes I've ever shared the water with, and if he can't take you he can recommend someone that will be good.
I appreciate that. I will look him up.

sndmn11

WKR
Float or wade?

Wade, I don't think there will be enough water to float the eagle then. A pumphouse float on the Colorado might be a good idea too if you like stripping streamers.

If you want to float the Arkansas I think @bbrown guides for Upriver in Buena Vista.

If you don't mind the potential for crowds the browns might be moving on the dream stream. If you want water all to yourself, my favorite place in the state is the Conejos.

I am not a fan of deckers, blue, fryingpan, or Taylor, I think those fish are caught far too much.

Dukejb

FNG
I agree with sndmn11 above. The south Platte especially is overfished. It’s such easy access to Denver and Springs that it gets loved to death. If you’re really into the size 22-24 midge fishing though it might be your thing. I much preferred Rocky Mountain National Park or the Arkansas when I lived there. Arkanglers in Salida or Buena Vista are great fly shops and have some very good float trips.

Dirtbag

WKR
I'd do a float trip on the Green. You'll catch a ton of fish, see pretty country and have a great experience, not too mention, In a lot of rivers in Colorado it's possible they might still be pretty warm to fish.

Macintosh

WKR
Man, I suggested a couple places within an hour.5 or so of denver or slc, but If you’re ok with a couple hour drive like some of the other suggestions there are a whole lot more options. How far are you ok driving and how much do you need for amenities once there?

OP
axeforce6

axeforce6

WKR
Well it looks like I’ll be flying to Denver. I’ll stay within a few hours from there. As far as amenities. I don’t need much.

Can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions for rivers within a few hours of Denver. I would advise to keep an eye on the fishing reports; it's been hotter than hell out here lately and some of the rivers have "voluntary closures" on them d/t the water temps above 65* Good luck!!