Colorado Vacation Suggestion (late August/early September)

My parents want to take my wife, daughter (2 YO), and I somewhere for my 30th birthday. I’m looking for places in Colorado within a couple’ish hours of Denver airport. They’ll likely fly into Denver, and we will drive from Missouri and pick them up. Looking at the week of August 31 or September 7.

Some things I’m looking for:
-Scenic hiking trails for the family
-Scenic hiking trails for just me or my wife and I
-Will need to be in or near a town with restaurants and other things to do. Neither of my parents are very mobile (mom has MS and uses a walker) so stuff that they or my 2 YO can do nearby.
-My dad plays golf quite a bit so nearby golf courses would help me sell them on a location
-I won’t be hunting but would like to treat this as an abbreviated scouting trip so ideally I will be checking out some nearby OTC archery and rifle areas on our hikes lol
-I like to avoid tourist traps but realize that’s not likely with the list above.

CoHiCntry

WKR
You might check out RMNP? Would check most boxes on your list except scouting OTC units and avoiding tourist.

OP
G
Keeping the suggestions coming. I’m also looking into the Vail/Breckenridge general area. That won’t help with the tourist aspect but checks most of the other boxes.

Poser

WKR
Salida is a cool, little town on the Arkansas River close to the mountains that gets your out of a lot of tourists traffic. It is a Mtn bike and rafting destination in the summer months, though. Hot springs in the area, mule deer in town and elk up high.

WKR
Breck is very nice. Check for any Octoberfest type stuff in that date range. Steamboat Springs area is very nice too. Estes Park as was mentioned.

OP
G
Steamboat Springs meets all the criteria you listed.

I’ve been skiing at Steamboat and thought the town was really cool, people were nice, and that shuttle they had (still do that?) was super convenient. It’s on my radar, but I also kind of want to try something new.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned above there are SO many options! Estes, Steamboat, Breck, Salida, etc. Get your wallet out that time of year can be mighty pricey for hotels, golf, and other touristy things. There are off the grid places that would be a lot cheaper but that would be in more rustic locations.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m going to also say Estes Park and rmnp. The town is mostly flat, awesome views. The park is very accessible with paved roads, pull offs for pictures. Obviously you can’t hunt it but you can still observe animal behavior, habitat, test yourself in the terrain. If you take the toll road you can avoid the city traffic and be in Estes Park about two hours from the airport.

Carlin59

WKR
Greeley is nice that time of year ;) . First (real) suggestion is something in Summit County (Breck, Frisco, Silverthorne). Plenty of hikes, plenty of golf, rent a boat and cruise/fish the Dillon Reservoir, fly fishing, scouting for OTC hunt areas (albeit tough units), and nice restaurants/shopping. However, altitude can be a real factor for guests, especially if older or with pre-existing conditions. Estes is lower elevation, and you could still piece together decent excursions for yourself while keeping the family happy. Can’t go wrong with either Summit County or Estes.

danarnold

WKR
Salida is a cool, little town on the Arkansas River close to the mountains that gets your out of a lot of tourists traffic. It is a Mtn bike and rafting destination in the summer months, though. Hot springs in the area, mule deer in town and elk up high.
X2 nice people, good grub off hwy 50 also

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Ouray sure is pretty and just north of there in Ridgway is a really, really laid back place to trout fish on the Uncompahgre. I think it’d be good for kids if you keep them out of the water.

Plenty of hiking, rent a Jeep or take a 4X4 on your trip and you can drive around in the mountains. Prob my favorite area I’ve ever been to. Day trips to Durango for breweries or Telluride to ride the gondola would be fun too. Hot springs around also. Plenty of hotels in Ouray, restaurants in Ouray and Ridgway.

We stayed in Ridgway in an Airbnb and loved it.

Not sure what’s OTC and what’s not over there for elk. I think Mule deer is a lengthy wait. Big ones right in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 on Ridgway, Ouray Montrose etc. One of my favorite parts of he state. You can day trip up to Palisade and visit some wineries. Plus the fishing up in the Uncompahgre is amazing. Or rent a decked out Jeep and go up and over the alpine loop to Lake City. One of the best roads in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaker_cc

WKR
If your parents are older and you’re taking your wife and kid, why not just make it a family trip and enjoy the time with them. Spending a bunch of time focusing on scouting (during the season) in an otc area, with your wife and kid along, would most likely be fruitless. I’m not telling you your business just suggesting enjoy the time you have and make as many memories as possible with your family. If you want to scout then find the time to make a scouting trip where that’s your goal. Seems like an opportunity to spend time with your parents and family together. That’s more special than most other things imho. Ouray or Durango gets my vote. Little far from Denver though.