Colorado warm weather boots

Holski

FNG
Looking at what boots everyone wears for archery season. I grew up hunting in Colorado but usually hunted 3rd or 4th rifle. I started archery hunting 5 years ago and always have worn Danner Pronghorns, they have always been super comfy and warm. The past few seasons they have been too warm during these warm Septembers. So I was thinking of getting a pair hiking of boots/shoes, something light weight that I could wear scouting and during early warm seasons. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

h2so4

WKR
I have a pair of Asolo boots for warm season hunting and summer backpacking trips. I even wore them instead of my insulated Danners on a warm-ish day in December during a rifle hunt. They were much more comfortable .

Gerbdog

WKR
What brand you go with is a personal choice: budget, foot shape, fit, etc.... just make sure you get something uninsulated, and where i hunt, waterproof.... for September that uninsulated part has made a big difference in my foot comfort. Still sweat a bit on my feet when hiking but... pretty sure my feet sweat in sandals so... more of a me problem then anything.

Currently, the last couple years, ive been using an uninsulated crispi nevada, and been happy with them!

bsnedeker

WKR
I use the same, non-insulated boot for everything...scouting through late-season. I prefer an all leather boot personally.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Crispi Colorados or salmon quest 4’s have treated my feet great for many years . Started with the Salomon boots and then tried the crispis last year. Both models work great and is what I will keep using. I wear them hiking all summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find what fits you the best and what works for your climate/environment. There are many manufacturers who are up there on quality.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used several different boots during September including boots with 800gm Thinsulate insulation and several uninsulated. From a comfort standpoint in regards to the warm temps, they all worked fine. I don't think my feet are all that picky as I use polypropylene liner socks under merino socks to control the sweat regardless which boots I wear. My favorites are Zamberlan Dakota 7" boots, but those are discontinued and I haven't found anything I like as much as them.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl Comfort Fit Hikers super comfortable and just fit me better than any boot I've tried. I've had mine about a year and hunted Montana last year in September as well as Ohio and Pa. Hiked this winter several times in the mud and snow and no leaks.

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Meindl. Love them. Switched to Crispi's for a couple different models and went back to meindl. They just lasted so much longer and comfort was great in them. Keep the leather in good condition with the proper oil and they'll be water proof 5 years down the road if you haven't destroyed them.

I’ve used one shape or form of these Vasques for 20 years. Need to find another pair soon as mine are about toast again.

Attachments

• D48A0A0F-49E4-43F5-A778-CEBDB3622015.jpeg
    D48A0A0F-49E4-43F5-A778-CEBDB3622015.jpeg
    751.6 KB · Views: 26

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last year I tried a pair of the La Sportiva Nucleo High II GTX, and thought they were really nice. Lightweight and had great support. I had 19 days in the woods with them and zero complaints so far. Had been using the Solomons and a few different brands previously. They are worth a look.

Marble

WKR
Instead of "What boot should I get?" I would change it to boots...

After decades of elk hunting and experiencing September weather, one must be prepared for all variables of weather.

If I were to choose one boot only, I would get one with insulation. But it really isn't the greatest option and as most of us have stated, we all hunt in boots without insulation in September. This works until it doesn't...and a nasty cold storm comes in and your feet are frozen.

I always bring two pairs of boots and wear what is appropriate for the conditions.

I've had boots fail, get cut, break eyelits, get soaked etc.

2 is 1 and 1 is none. I will bring an extra.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

IronM

Lil-Rokslider
After doing a ton of research on here and else where, picked up a pair of Crispi Lapponias when they were on sale. Nice Uninsulated leathery boot and absolutely comfortable for my picky feet. Very light and nimble but definitely rugged boot. I use a custom orthotic in them which helps. Otherwise I too have found the Meindl Hunter 400 an awesome boot when the weather turns a little colder.

Medusa7MM

WKR
Crispi Colorado boots are my go to boots. Train in the summer months with them and wear them in December as well.

KeenEye

FNG
Crispi Colorados or salmon quest 4’s have treated my feet great for many years . Started with the Salomon boots and then tried the crispis last year. Both models work great and is what I will keep using. I wear them hiking all summer as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen that the Solomons durability isn’t great. How would you say it does with sidehilling and some light rocky terrain. I am looking at an option for early season and have seen this mentioned a lot.
Thanks.

EVD

FNG
One more opinion/ data point:

I've been using the Scarpa R-evolution sold through Kuiu for the past 4 seasons in Colorado. Had Kenetrek's Mountain extreme NI prior.

The Scarpa are lighter weight, have held up better, and for me are more comfortable to hike in. I plan to get another pair when needed.