Colorado weather during rifle

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
So I went last year for muzzleloader to Colorado and expected a warm and sunny hunt.instead I was met by temps in the teens to single digits along with snow.

So if I came out for 2-4 rifle season should I just expect to be met by feet of snow and barely getting above freezing?was last year a fluke? Anyone rifle hunt without a hot tent/camper or hotel room ?

I have no experience in the west after October so I’m a little nervous about dumping a bunch of money into a tag only to get there and freeze to death without a hot tent or camper.

WKR
I'm going back to a very warm sleeping bag and a Hilleberg 4 season tent. If it gets stupid that will turn into a room in a local town lol. No way of knowing but plan for the worst. Good layers and a good bag will take you far.

Impossible to predict and depends on where in the state and elevation you are at. That said, I would say (wag) the odds are at least 50.1% or higher that either cold or snow is a factor at least part of a week long stretch from 2nd season onward.
Look up the NRCS snotel website and find one close to where you plan to be-will give you historical temps and snow amounts. Doesn’t help at all with future reality but gives a sense of what range to plan for.

Could be 70 dry and sunny or minus 10 and 4+ ft of snow and everything in between. It could be snowy cold and windy but with a fireban in effect that limits stove use. In 24 hrs it can go from Tshirt to down gear. At 10k plus elevation you should expect near zero temps.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Last year 15 below and snow second rifle. I still did it in a tent. Might not do it again. Paying a little closer attention to the forcast.

Poser

WKR
3rd rifle often does get very cold, but so many factors: I hunted 3rd rifle at around 7500 feet last season trying to catch the migration. It was raining, but dumping snow 2,000 feet higher. I’ve been out at 11,000 feet during 3rd rifle and it was minus 13, calf deep snow and frozen feet. Unless it is an unusually warm year, the hot tent comes out after 2nd rifle.

Slugz

WKR
Last year 15 below and snow second rifle. I still did it in a tent. Might not do it again. Paying a little closer attention to the forcast.
That was miserable. I was cow moose hunting and I was determined not to leave and hunt the front edge of that weather and back end. Down right miserable in between. :)

I've experienced t-shirt weather during 4th season and sub zero temps or heavy snow during 2nd. Be prepared for both scenarios.

More likely than not though you'll have mild days and frigid nights.

Dress in layers no matter what season it is in CO. And that includes having proper rain gear. It's easy to take off layers and put them in your pack if you get warm. I can't stress that enough to newbies that I invite to hunt with my group.

NickyD

FNG
As others have said it’s impossible to predict weather and you should be prepared for all weather. Don’t leave anything at home either. 40 degrees on a warm sunny day can feel like 90. Last season 1st rifle I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt day one, and the next day in well below freezing conditions with a lot of snow less than 48 hours later. Variable weather like that is the rule, not the exception

Yup what others have said. Generally you need every blanket in the house, a down bag and a heat source

You also need to be prepared to have an alternative source of heat other than fire if it's dry again.
It could be below zero temps with a fire ban in place like it was last year

I've done 4 first rifle Colorado elk hunts and the weather has been different every time. Always between 9-11k elevation. Best weather was 20's-60, sleet/snow one day. Worst weather was about 18" of snow in one day, temps from -10-30.
I gear up and plan for -15-70 degree weather and snow.
First 3 years I was in a 3 season tent, last year was a 4 season tent. No heat source other than a fire to dry socks and boots over at night.
The right clothing, 4 season tent, 0 degree sleeping bag (or better), r-value 5 or so sleeping pad will get you by for most temps, but -15 sucks no matter what.

mahons24

FNG
Last year 2nd rifle got 3' of snow and was -15 degrees at night. Two years before, I was battling 80 degree weather at 11,000 feet during 2nd rifle. Honestly plan for both hot and cold weather for every hunting season.

RCB

WKR
As you know, last year 2nd season was snowy and cold. Then I hunted 3rd season for deer and the low was above 40 the first night. Point is, it fluctuates wildly, so you need to be prepared for just about anything.

Jmoore

FNG
19' 3rd rifle was snow and freezing temps and 4th was clear 40's night low 70's daytime. Just watch the weather and try to plan accordingly. On pack-ins I'll leave a few extras at the trailhead I can go get if need be.

In Colorado expect anything. I was up archery hunting last year during that storm at 11,000 feet that you are talking about we brought our hot tent and it was all good. With that said be prepared.

I was hunting in October also with -5 degrees, with that while it was white out we stayed low in my Jumping Jack (canvas pop up trailer) with a mr. buddy running and it was all good. Just expect that weather. Do you have a wall tent?