Colorado Wild Fires

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider

Yet another fire erupted today around 12:00 pm. This fire is in the Waldo Canyon area of El Paso and Teller Counties in Colorado. For those not familiar with the area that is just west of Colorado Springs. With the wind direction right now the fire is being blown back toward Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy area. I attached a picture of the smoke plum from my roof. I live on the east side of town about 20 miles from all of this. The first picture is just the camera zoomed in and the second is from my spotting scope.

As of this post the fire was estimated at 1000 acres.

PLEASE keep all the people affected in your thoughts.

WC Fire 1.jpgWC Fire 2.jpgWC Fire 3.jpg
WC Fire 4.jpgWC Fire 5.jpg

Last edited:
That is the GREAT view that I got when I got off work today!!! I have a few buddies that were sent up to help battle the blaze. I was headed up there tomorrow to scout for Big Horns with a buddy who drew a ewe tag but...that plan has fallen through.

OP
Above Timber

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Yes this is a different fire that started today. Not a part of the Springer Fire. There are 2 single engine planes, 2 large tankers, and one helicopter. They are pulling half of the quick response team from the Springer Fire to fight the Waldo Canyon Fire. This information is just off the news. I guess Evan and I will NOT be scouting sheep tomorrow :(

They just announced on the news that the Springer Fire by Lake George is 100% contained.

Last edited:
OP
Above Timber

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
The Waldo Canyon Fire has taken a huge turn for the worse and came down the mountain and into Colorado Springs in a very bad way. Currently there are 32,000 residence displaced and we could use any help we can get. They are asking for donation to the local Red Cross. The Red Cross has set up several evacuation centers throughout the city. Any little thing is appreciated and welcome. We are strong community and those of us who are not directly affected have given in more ways that most will ever know. I will not post anymore pictures out of respect for the people that have lost their home and businesses. Only through God grace we have not lost and lives at this point. The local Red Cross web site is: http://www.pparc.org/. This is a great online community and others could use your help.

Donations can also be made at http://careandshare.org/ our local food bank.

Last edited:

7mag.

WKR
With the President visiting Colorado tomorrow, he is expected to declare a national state of emergency, that puts my team on the list to go. The local USFS guys already left, so, I'll be waiting by the phone for the next week or so. Good luck to all that are already there and to those that live there. Be safe.

Curtis C

WKR
7mag Just curious what role your team will take once you all get here?

Things have settled down a little with the fire for the last few days. The problem is if the wind gets to blowing out of the west it can push the flames right back into the Colo Spgs, Air Force Academy, or Monument area. If we get winds from the east Woodland Park could have the flames right in town. This is still a very dangerous situation.

C

7mag.

WKR
I really don't know, as we are an initial attack team. We specialize in protecting our watersheds, here in Washington, but often get deployed to other fires. We usually roll as a strike team, because we combine with other local agencies to make an asset. We have a couple of type 5 engines and a couple of brush rigs. We often end up doing lots of mop up, and lots of fire line construction as hand crews.

We've been through a wildfire that nearly took my in-laws' ranch. I know what you're going through. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Okay, I have searched about 400 times online to find a decent map of the fires to no avail. Can someone post a link on this thread with the affected areas?

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Waldo Canyon Fire has taken a huge turn for the worse and came down the mountain and into Colorado Springs in a very bad way. Currently there are 32,000 residence displaced and we could use any help we can get. They are asking for donation to the local Red Cross. The Red Cross has set up several evacuation centers throughout the city. Any little thing is appreciated and welcome. We are strong community and those of us who are not directly affected have given in more ways that most will ever know. I will not post anymore pictures out of respect for the people that have lost their home and businesses. Only through God grace we have not lost and lives at this point. The local Red Cross web site is: http://www.pparc.org/. This is a great online community and others could use your help.

Donations can also be made at http://careandshare.org/ our local food bank.

For those interested in donating I have a little advice from my experiences. I live in Joplin, MO where an F5 tornado destroyed a lot of the town about a year ago. We've learned A LOT from the experience. We had more money than you can imagine flow into our community. I am the chairman of our church finance committee and I can tell you firsthand that the churches in the area did the BEST job of dispersing help (financially and otherwise) quickly and efficiently.

On the other hand, I heard a report just last week that the Red Cross had only used about 30% of what they took in. If you can find a church congregation to donate to I would have much more confidence in the funds being used as you intend. However, I know the people in CO will appreciate any and all assistance however it is given.

Thanks for the updates and our prayers are with you all.

Curtis C

WKR
I really don't know, as we are an initial attack team. We specialize in protecting our watersheds, here in Washington, but often get deployed to other fires. We usually roll as a strike team, because we combine with other local agencies to make an asset. We have a couple of type 5 engines and a couple of brush rigs. We often end up doing lots of mop up, and lots of fire line construction as hand crews.

We do have some watershed threats with the Waldo fire as well as some of the others. Lets us know if they do send you to CO, we sure appreciate all the help coming in.

This page will show a list of fires burning in Colorado
http://inciweb.org/state/6/