Colorado Wilderness

BSeals71

WKR
Has anyone elk hunted Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness? Or... Hunter Fryingpan Wilderness?

I'll probably post this on a few other forums, but wanted to hear from others who have.
Not expecting anyone to give away their "honey hole" just a few pointers, never set foot in the area.
Planing on doing two separate weeklong backpack hunts: one during the first part of the season and the other the last week.

I know 'the usual'... get away from roads and trails, find cover and green grass on North facing slopes (East-West ridges), stuff like that...

Thanks for all the help.

Yes I have Mr. Buckeye. 4X hunted in there, scouted 3x and actually snow shoe'd a 3rd of the way in on one of my dumber days. PM me a question or two and I will get back to you later probably than sooner. That's unit 43, I live in Unit 33

Last edited:
I'll be trying a couple of the wilderness areas. I've got a few picked out, and I was also looking into the maroon bells wilderness area. I heard it has a lot of hikers because its near aspen, but who knows!?

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have only scouted so far but I think if your willing to get off the beaten path you will probably be alone. The elk are there you just have to be willing to go after them!

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted there. There are a lot of hikers and some aren't into hunters. There are animals there but without horses it can be a tough hike to "get off the trails" as there are trails everywhere in there. Saw a fair amount of elk but not many deer in the valley I was in.