Colorado?

Hey guys, I'm from Missouri and am no stranger to killing big whitetails, but I've been mule deer hunting twice in Wyoming and struck out both times. I am looking into going to Colorado next year and am wondering if there are some good areas that don't require any points to draw. Any info appreciated.

ckleeves

WKR
I would look at draw odds on hunter's trailhead or monster muleys and then narrow down your search from there once you have a few units in mind.

Hoytnut

FNG
Depends on your weapon of choice. If you are a bowhunter, yes there are some good areas that require no points. Ckleeves is right - do some simple research and go from there. Good luck!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the units W of I-25 are good and can be hunted on low points, depending on the season (archery, muzz, 2nd season deer, and even a few 3rd seasons.)

Hook up with someone who is as serious as you are and start researching. Decide which weapon/season then ask more questions. You're starting early, so can get lots of info in that time. Best of luck.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I almost forgot.

There are two reasons I, and a few of my friends, have been successful in Colorado:

1) By the grace of God
2) By scouting

I live a full 13 hours from the hunting I like in Colorado, but I managed to scout my unit(s) almost every year prior to the hunt. If you can make it happen, it is worth it.

Killed one of the few really great bucks I've ever killed in 2010 about 1/2 mile from where I scouted a 180 buck on one of my first scouting trips down there in 1994. Wow, it took 16 years for that scouting trip to pay off, but it did pay off.

Other people's info is never as good as your own.

Again, if you can make it happen, it is worth it.

God bless your hunting.

+1 Robby!!!!

Best eyes in the area are yours!!! Maps and google earth go a long ways but nothing beats getting feet in the unit and glass in the bowls.

Another thing to consider is if you are going to do a rifle hunt some units are better the 2nd season and some are better the 3rd and 4th seasons. There are units west of the divide that are great until we get a lot of snow and then the majority of the old bucks head to private ranches in the low country.