Columbia Blacktail hunt

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone. I have begun to research a hunt for Columbia Blacktail. I have already killed multiple Eastern Whitetail, Muledeer, and Coues deer. I have a a Sitka hunt on the books for 2023 and would like to chase a Columbia blacktail at some point in the near future. Basically looking for input on the idea of going outfitted vs DIY. Also if guided if people have suggestions for good outfitters? I am open to weapon choices but would probably prefer a rifle hunt.

Cheers

The biggest bucks seem to come from Northern California. SW Oregon also produces some dandies. Scott Haugen wrote a number of articles on black tail hunting and at least one book. I would recommend that reading. He would also be a great resource for guides. PM me I’ll give you his number.

Marble

WKR
Tejon Ranch near Bakersfield. I beleive the hunt in the Tehachapi mountains.

Just do a Google search for something in the trinity alps. There are several packers and guides that will take you in by horse.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bohntr

WKR
Tejon Ranch near Bakersfield. I beleive the hunt in the Tehachapi mountains.

Just do a Google search for something in the trinity alps. There are several packers and guides that will take you in by horse.

Tejon Ranch has the wrong species; they are NOT Columbian Blacktail, they are mule deer.

There are a few quality Columbian Blacktail outfitters in CA where the trophy potential seems to be a bit more than other states lately. Arrow Five Outfitters are a good place to start, IMO. Mendocino and Siskiyou counties have some of the best Blacktail in the Golden State.

Marble

WKR
That's right... well sort of. Wrong side of I 5. Won't qualify as true Columbian blacktail.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
West part of Northern California. Grew up hunting these and have killed many. Land lease is your best bet but pricey. Some guide services as well but also expensive. DIY is possible but public land opportunities are tough for a first timer. These coastal black tail deer are some of the toughest to hunt and many guys go out to public land and “don’t see any deer”. They are there but they are trying to hunt them like mule deer. You won’t be very successful.

Archery for CA black tail is the earliest deer season in the country beginning in July. Some rifle zones open as early as August. Make sure you hunt a true black tail zone and not a hybrid or mule deer zone (if you want a true Columbian black tail buck).

I always tell guys if your smack in the middle of poison oak, ticks, and 100+ degree afternoons you’re in prime black tail country!

PM me for more details I can help you narrow down some general areas.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
I'd start by asking yourself if you want to pursue a southern OR/CA blacktail in more open terrain or a Central/Northern OR or even a WA in thick timber/rain forest. From there do you want to hunt over a pile of apples, from a stand, alpine basins, or glassing clear cuts. Lastly, what's your trophy range- P&Y, B&C or just a buck. Time of year would also be a factor, but I wouldn't try DIY going in blind and expect anything book class.

OP
COwineguy

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everybody. Great info so far. I will be reaching out to some that offered. I am looking forward to it. Seems like there are plenty of options depending on the trip I am looking for. Thanks

West part of Northern California. Grew up hunting these and have killed many. Land lease is your best bet but pricey. Some guide services as well but also expensive. DIY is possible but public land opportunities are tough for a first timer. These coastal black tail deer are some of the toughest to hunt and many guys go out to public land and “don’t see any deer”. They are there but they are trying to hunt them like mule deer. You won’t be very successful.

Archery for CA black tail is the earliest deer season in the country beginning in July. Some rifle zones open as early as August. Make sure you hunt a true black tail zone and not a hybrid or mule deer zone (if you want a true Columbian black tail buck).

I always tell guys if your smack in the middle of poison oak, ticks, and 100+ degree afternoons you’re in prime black tail country!

You bring back memories! 100 F ticks and poison oak!! That’s coastal California hunting 😂

Thanks everybody. Great info so far. I will be reaching out to some that offered. I am looking forward to it. Seems like there are plenty of options depending on the trip I am looking for. Thanks
it's certainly very doable DIY as well, especially if you gave yourself a week starting about Oct 18-ish (big, big bucks have a couple day window they move in daylight around the 20th) and if you don't find one then, you are going into increasing buck activity that starts becoming reliable after the 20th... those big bucks move for a couple days pretty well and that's when they hammer the willows, which are the significant rubs in this region.

the later in the season you have a better chance lucking into a nice buck, but if you are hunting sign and honing in on a particular deer, i like to kill them before halloween, because they are easier to pattern, and get more likely to be out in the daylight, but before they start shopping for does more seriously.... i also like nice clear weather, they move good in crappy weather, but it takes predictability and glassing ability out of the question a bit, and i have grown to like intentionally hunting deer rather than hoping to get lucky and see a good one

buzzy

WKR
Ken Wilson of Spoon Creek Outfitters in Oregon. Kills some big ones in the Applegate unit which is a muzzleloader hunt.

I'm interested in a true Columbia black tail. I'm in AZ and hunted our Mule deer and Couse deer here.
I'm new to Rokslide and don't know how to PM anyone.
Poison oak, ticks and 100+ degree days don't both me, much.
It sounds like guides are very expensive and I'm not good enough to DIY (not the first time or two). Can you refer me to a Semi-guided hunt? I would even be willing to trade an AZ hunt. We have some fun fun Javelina Hunts that are very easy to draw.
I look Forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you