Columbia Jackets?

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good day everyone. So as I was sitting here at my desk doing nothing I got to thinking about my potential upcoming elk hunt this year and I have been struggling with clothing such as jackets, etc. I really like the puffy jackets and have quite a few of columbias versions. The jackets are light weight, not very expensive and keep me very warm. Now I am talking about the everyday down jackets not the hunting line specifically. So I got to thinking about how well they would do during an elk hunt. I have a Sitka jacket and I must say that I do love it but my goodness the prices of Sitka, kuiu and first lite are very high. If I lived in elk country or hunted there more often I might would drop a lot of money for that particular named brands but I don't. I am looking into just using solids as my camo. Has anyone here had any experience using Columbia brand clothing for elk hunting or hunting in general and maybe can give me some advice or tell me what you think? Thanks

No experience in your scenario but FYI Moosejaw has 40% off Columbia today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't used it hunting but have a hard shell for work if it's wet and windy or cold totally bombproof so far, a little to noisy for hunting in but it will keep you dry and wind from blowing through

260madman

WKR
If it has Omni Heat, the dots will grab your long sleeves when putting on and taking off the jacket. I bought a parka for winter and don’t wear it because of this. It acts like Velcro if you have a fleece on.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the OutDry EX Gold shell, and it's bombproof, and breaths well. I love it. I agree with Bootson, in that it's a little loud, and likely wouldn't be good for stalking. But then again, if it's raining, the sound of the rain would cover the sound of the jacket IMHO.

Benjblt

WKR
I've got the OutDry EX Gold shell, and it's bombproof, and breaths well. I love it. I agree with Bootson, in that it's a little loud, and likely wouldn't be good for stalking. But then again, if it's raining, the sound of the rain would cover the sound of the jacket IMHO.

I have the Outdry as well. It seems to work well so far and fits the bill perfectly so far. Great for layering but not too big, pit zips, seems durable, and weighs in at about 12.5 oz.

Benjblt

WKR
Also, you could definitely use Columbia gear for hunting. The expensive, hunting specific, gear will start to pay off on more extreme hunts. Most hunters could wear cotton for 90% of what they do (maybe not 90% on Rokslide). . . but if you try to wear it on a 10 day backpack trip that you can expect wet conditions and temperatures in the 40's and 30's you might be in trouble with cotton. That's just an example. Columbia sell the dry tech type stuff and their jackets are warm and durable. . . just not the lightest. I have a ton of their stuff. Maybe more then any other brand and it's good. I'd say more durable then my expensive hunting stuff.

jspradley

WKR
I have a lot of Columbia stuff, it's good gear. Not super technical fancy pants stuff but it's good.

Plug Columbia is a legit pro-hunting and fishing company so even if it's not "hunting gear" they are a good company for hunters.

kda082

WKR
I have an omniheat bow hunting jacket that is great for early season. Wears well and has lasted the past 5 years without issue. Good zipper which is the Achilles heal for many a jacket.

Remember they own prana and mountain hardware.... there are some good nuggets of cross over if you look close

It’s hard to beat thier puffys for the price. The omni heat reflective is on a bunch of different fabrics from base layer to shirt exteriors. I’ve never had it cling on to my closes like Velcro

Benjblt

WKR
Remember they own prana and mountain hardware.... there are some good nuggets of cross over if you look close

It’s hard to beat thier puffys for the price. The omni heat reflective is on a bunch of different fabrics from base layer to shirt exteriors. I’ve never had it cling on to my closes like Velcro

Mountain Hardwear stuff is pretty nice. I live in Oregon so I often get to go to the Employee store to score some great deals on all 3 brands. I currently have a friends and family code/pass. I might be willing to give up if someone one wants it. I think Mountain Hardwear would be the only brand that the code will work on now. The code has been used on the other two.