Columbia Outdry (latest and greatest waterproof material - ?????)

Felix40

WKR
I haven't actually used the first lite or kuiu but I bought the Columbia through work and sent it back right away. I only bought it because they give us a huge discount but that jacket is hot. It's almost like wearing helly Hanson rain gear. Wish we could get a pro deal with kuiu but I don't think that will ever happen

OP
A

andres3

FNG
Thanks for the info. I am assuming you did not get a chance to see if it wet-out, or see how waterproof it is. My experience with Gore-tex is that once it wets-out, it stops breathing and you get hot and wet from your own sweat. As for reapplying the DWR, been there, done that, and I was not impressed. I am worried about getting another waterproof jacket that uses a DWR coating that can wear off. I do not know if KUIU and First Lite have the same wet-out issues (maybe not when it is new, but over time???). I did read the waterproof jacket tests (great testing by the way) on this site, and hope they will add this new material/jacket, and upcoming new materials/jackets for comparison as they become available.

Last edited:
I have. It will not wet out. Infact it's my go to offshore/inshore jacket. Spent two hours in a tower drive SCB running 4O-50 mph in pouring raining. Nor is it even close to the HH rubber stuff.

It's not a hot jacket(and I live in TX, also used it in Mexico offshore fishing). It breaths very well, but it's not a quiet jacket(they have a stretchy version coming out, i just previewed) nor do they have hunt friendly colors. If you need a northwest jacket or high rain fall area jacket, it's the ticket. If you seldom use one, I'd go another route for hunting. I'm a fan for what it's made for, wish they would come up with milder dull colors, not a fan of looking like a banana.

Last edited:
OP
A

andres3

FNG
Thanks for the additional info. I look forward to more reviews on this new material, and hope Columbia will come out with some earth tone colors (I called and requested it, maybe if enough people did the same). If not, I might end up being one colorful hunter (at least while it is raining). They say deer and elk are supposed to be color blind, that is the rumor!